Relinking files to projects in FCPX/iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by soLoredd, Jul 4, 2011.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

So, I stumbled upon an issue while working in iMovie - I imported some footage into an event then started a project. I needed to move the footage to an external drive and when I went back to work on the project, iMovie could not find the original source files (that's a given). However, I was shocked to learn there is no relinking option.

I then thought surely FCPX would have this and so far, all I can find are threads with people saying that it is not, in fact, an option - that you have to restart the project! Anyone else having this problem?

I'm assuming the way to get around this is to always remember to copy over the project along with the files but that seems really cumbersome. I would love if Apple could make it work like Aperture - if you move referenced files (meaning files outside of the library), then you have a window you can bring up to re-locate the files and all is well.

2. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

You mean like they have in Final Cut? Yeah, but this new way is supposed to be sooo much more advanced and the way of the future. I mean, who would ever need to relink files or change them with something else? :rolleyes: