Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjdth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
I have a separate application that generates a .ics ical file, and everything works great with the syncing to iCal EXCEPT that if iCal is open the information will not be shown until the next launch of iCal. I've tried using:

tell application "iCal"
reload calendars
end tell

but that does nothing. I've also tried manually right clicking on the calendar list and selecting refresh all, but that does nothing.

Is there any way to update the calendar without forcing iCal to quit and then relaunch?

Thank you.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
You could try to subscribe to the calendars from localhost (or directly from disk) instead of just opening them. Then you should be able to use the "refresh" feature...

Edit: It seems that you can suscribe to a local file with Calendar -> Suscribe and then give the address: file:///path/to/calendar.ics

I cannot test it right now, because I don't have an iCal file not already in my library, but it should work, and if not, put it in your Sites folder, turn on websharing and use webcal://localhost/username/calendar.ics to subscribe to it... :)

bohemier

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
I know this is an old post, but I'm trying to do exactly this: subscribe to a local .ics file using:

Code:
file:///Users/admin/Dropbox/mycal.ics

and iCal says:

Code:
iCal can’t subscribe to Internet addresses starting with “file”….

I prefer to keep my calendar as .ics cause I sync it through multiple platforms through Dropbox...

Anyone knows how I could do this?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.