Reload this Page Fanspeed/CPU Temp Benchmarks help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nick Jinks, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Nick Jinks macrumors member

I've got a mid-2009 13.3 MacBook Pro. Occasionally when I'm working the fans run pretty damned loud. This normally involves internet browsing and word processing, no downloads, video or anything very CPU intensive.

I've got iStat Pro, and the following is the readings on CPU and Fans when going loud. Please can someone tell me if this is normal, or if theres some bug or fault with my fans?:

CPU: <5% use
    Temps: CPU 52 degrees, heatsink 40 degrees
    fans: move between 4000RPM and 5000RPM.

I'll try to provide more info if I can, but I've already tried a few things without results. Thx all

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems a little warm, its possible being around 5 years old, that the you may need to clean out the internals, i.e., too much dust. Also the thermal compound may have dried up and you'll get better performance by re-applying this.

3. Nick Jinks, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

Nick Jinks thread starter macrumors member

I've cleaned the internals out before, most recently in December when I added an SSD, it was very dusty and I was quite thorough in cleaning it.

However, I'm not THAT good with computers and while I could apply the thermal paste to a normal processor, I don't know how to access the one in my MacBook. I thought they were soldered in?