Reloading operating system on to macbook pro from imac using firewire

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by southerngent, Jul 31, 2010.

1. southerngent macrumors newbie

Hello to all, this is my first post and i need a step by step on how to reload my operating system back to my macbook pro using my imac. The drive doesn't work in the macbook pro and all i get when i start up the macbook pro is the apple symbol and the spinning wheel for a few minutes then the macbook pro shuts itself off. I have hooked up the macbook pro to the imac using firewire and can see the macbook pro's drive on the desktop of the imac but don't know how to reload the operating system back to the macbook pro from the imac. Any help would sure be appreciated. Im kinda dumb to the Apple computers but trying to learn so please bear with me. Again thanks to everyone for any help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the iMac has an OS version, that is compatible with the MBP, thus not older than the version the MBP came with, you could clone the iMac's HDD to the MBP's HDD and have the same OS on the MBP, along with the same settings and such.

CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper are used for cloning.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. southerngent thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Where can i get carboncopycloner or superduper and do i have to pay for these? If i run either one of these programs will it guide me through what to do?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

CCC homepage
    via "carboncopycloner"

SuperDuper! homepage
    via "superduper"

It is really simple. Connect MBP via Firewire, start CCC or SuperDuper, it let's you then select the Target Disk (MBP in your case) and the Source Disk (iMac in your case). Then hit START/COPY/CLONE or whatever button indicates the function to begin the process of cloning.

5. southerngent thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the carboncopycloner but it said it couldn't write to it, what now

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I have a feeling, that reloading might not do the trick.

If you go to versiontracker.com and download SMART Utility.

You might find that the drive is full of bad sectors and/or errors ... both indicative of a dying drive.

The shutting off while loading could be a bad sign, especially if it started with freezing of the computer beforehand.

7. southerngent thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't go anywhere to download anything on the macbook pro. When it starts all it will do is bring up the apple logo and the spinning wheel for a few minutes then it shuts itself off

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you can boot into single user mode and run fsck it helps.

Even a failure to repair is telling.

If you see something like

"Invalid node structure (4, 6003)"
    " The volume Mac HD could not be verified completely"

The 6003 is the number of lifetime errors on the drive -- Apple called the drive dead for me with this many as it went from 500 to 6k in 4 weeks.

There are several other fsck failures where the drive cannot be repaired and show a (4, XXX) message.

9. southerngent thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i boot into single user mode, Like i was saying i can't get the macbook pro to do anything, it won't go past the apple logo screen with spinning wheel and then shuts down

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Click on the desktop of your iMac, and go to the top of the screen where it say HELP.

Type in "Starting up in single-user mode"

Heck, it probably also works in google, mroogle, etc.

---

command-s...

Besides single user, safe boot is the other startup sequence it is good to know, and that is done using the shift key.

11. southerngent thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, i disconnected my macbook pro from the imac and i can boot into single user mode, black screen with alot of white lettering, same when i boot into safe mode but don't know what to do from there, my optical drive is bad so i don't know if i can get everything back working or not