Reloading Software to New iMac

djlu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
43
0
NY
I have purchased a new iMAC after my fatihful blue G4 suddenly went kaput. Now for the real problem. I do not have a proper backup of application software so I cannot restore it.

How can I install software versions which search for upgrades?

My first version of Mac Office is close to 10 years old.
My first version of Filemaker is File Maker 3.
Dreamweaver is also an early release.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Doug Lu
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
djlu said:
...
My first version of Mac Office is close to 10 years old.
My first version of Filemaker is File Maker 3.
Dreamweaver is also an early release.
...
In truth, it is probably time to bite the bullet and pay for new versions of software (or pay for the upgrade, but I don't think any of the software listed will upgrade from versions that old - especially if they aren't installed on the machine.
 

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
716
0
If you can still use the HD, try Carbon Copy Cloner, to clone the old hd to your new hd (apps and all).
 

djlu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
43
0
NY
Bear said:
In truth, it is probably time to bite the bullet and pay for new versions of software (or pay for the upgrade, but I don't think any of the software listed will upgrade from versions that old - especially if they aren't installed on the machine.
All the upgrades I have are paid for. The problem is that I probably wouldn't be able to load the original software anymore to put all the upgrades on top of and I'm sure some of these are probably on floppies that are unreadable or I have lost the original keys for.

Doug
 

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
2,592
168
Washington, DC
djlu said:
All the upgrades I have are paid for. The problem is that I probably wouldn't be able to load the original software anymore to put all the upgrades on top of and I'm sure some of these are probably on floppies that are unreadable or I have lost the original keys for.

Doug
(paid) upgrade versions of office came on new CDRoms that had the full version, so just use that. No need to start with Word 4.0 and build up from there. Just put in your most recent version of office. If your most recent version if Office 97 (or 98, whichever), time to buy Office: Mac 2004. Just get the upgrade version for $250.
 

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.