Relocating home folder under OS X 10.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deathshrub, Dec 19, 2007.

1. deathshrub macrumors 6502

I've done some searches and haven't found anything. If you know of a thread where this has been explained then I apologize and only ask for a link to the solution.

I'm basically borrowing my friend's computer, and would like to relocate my home folder to an external usb drive so I don't have any of my personal information on the internal HD. I have searched google and found solutions to this under 10.4 but nothing under 10.5 yet. Can anyone help?

Thanks and sorry if this has been posted before.

2. deathshrub thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, this is why I love OS X. You try something, shot in the dark, and it works.

For all those who are curious, you go into the accounts preference pane, authenticate with your password, and command click on your name. Then you are able to do lots of nifty stuff, like change the short name, login shell, home directory. Very neat. Can't wait until the new Mac Pros come out so I can get my own computer and stop mooching off my friend. :p :D;)

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yep.
    It's nice to see they kept these options fairly accessible.

In Tiger (and earlier) this could be done with NetInfo Manager. Now that NetInfo is gone as local user database, Apple came up with this.
    Cool isn't it?

4. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

To open the Advanced Options, I have to control click the user name. Command click will not open it. MC

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Check.
    Secondary-mouse click will work too... ;)

6. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Fairly scary message: "Changing these settings might damage this account so that you cannot log in..."
    The tools in Leopard look very powerful and very useful. But I would create a test user account so that if it blows up while you play with it, you limit the carnage!