Relocating iPhoto's library?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by superspiffy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

How do I change the location of iPhoto's library to an external hard drive? I'm almost out of room in my MBP and I want pics to be imported directly to an external drive and continue to use iPhoto to manage my pictures. Thanks

2. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Just like I posted in your other thread, I do not believe this is possible. I checked in most of the iPhoto tabs and I cant find and place where you set the photo's location.

There is another way though. In the iPhoto preferences you can select not to import photo's to the photo's folder when you import them to iPhoto. then you can move all your photo's to the external hard drive and add them to iPhoto. When you capture pictures they will still go to the photo's folder but otherwise they will stay wherever they are on your hard drive(s) and still be visible in iPhoto. Let me know if this does not make sense.

3. md63 macrumors 6502

When iPhoto is closed, just cut and paste the iPhoto Library to the new location. When iPhoto is opened, it will say it can't find the iPhoto library and ask if you want to specify it or start a new one. Then you can specify the location on the new drive.

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

..or as above, but just make an alias of the moved folder (called "iPhoto Library" ) and put the alias back where the folder was originally, in Pictures. Hopefully iPhoto (just like iTunes) will barely even notice it's moved. (unless you have the external switched off when you open iPhoto..)

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

This is the way I use iPhoto -- with the library on my external. Apple's knoweldge Based support has specific instructions on how to do this. Works like a charm.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is even possible using this method to have multiple iPhoto/iTunes libraries. Just hold down option when you are starting up iTunes/iPhoto and you will get to choose which one to load.