Relocating: sending a Time Capsule from Italy to Japan

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Muffin87, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Muffin87 macrumors member

I currently live in Italy and will move to Japan in one month.
    I need to bring my Time Capsule with me; of course the Time Capsule is a quite fragile piece of machinery as it contains a 3.5" Hard Drive and other electronics.

I need a way to send the Time Capsule from Italy to Japan, a way that won't damage it and has a reasonable cost.
    What's the sense of sending a Time Capsule if you can buy a new one for the same price of the delivery?

Did anybody here relocate and has suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance,

P.S. I don't feel like putting it in my check luggage, it will break for sure, and I don't feel like putting it in my carry-on baggage: they'll surely think it's some sort of bomb.

2. Romeo604 macrumors regular

I believe its more reasonable to put it in your carry on luggage and it won't break as long as you put it in-between clothing to cushion it. It will have more cushioning than getting it sent out as a package.

I put my 17 inch Macbook in-between my shorts/shirts and its soft enough to absorb movement while your actual luggage bag acts as the outer case. And since its a carry on you know its secure as its there with you over your seat.

3. Muffin87 thread starter macrumors member

The problem is that carry-on baggage is inspected, the time capsule is big and I can't turn it no without electricity, I don't want the airport staff to tell me I can't take it with me because I can't demonstrate it doesn't contain dangerous substances.
    Even they refuse to let me carry the time capsule with me on the plane, what am I going to do? Give somebody from the airport staff a companion to back up his/her mac?

I'd like to send it with FedEx but it costs more than buying a new one...
    It'd be stupid to buy a new hard drive to back up just because I can't find a way to carry a Time capsule with me.

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

do you move permanently ? or just for some time ? you could ship it with your other belonging in case of permanent move.

In case of short time I would take it in hand baggage; I don't think they will ask you in EU to power up ; even when they would give you power. Just give it some time to start up and switch off once the lights are green.

Check the cable; Japan use the same power plug as US; and 110V.

5. brentsg macrumors 68030

If you are worried about your data, make a cloud backup of everything.

Alternatively, have multiple copies of your data and transport them by different means. Ship one, carry one on, etc.

If you're just worried about a time machine, don't. Stuff like that can be replaced.

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Lol! I am a frequent traveller both domestic here in the US and abroad. It is fine, put it in your hand carry luggage or checkin luggage. They are x-rayed on the airport. They will not hold you for that unless you carry liquids.

7. varunkrish macrumors member

Put it in your backpack along with a protective cover / bubble wrap and make sure you handle the backpack gently and put a fragile sticker on it so that it is not thrown in a xray machine

You can put it inside your suitcase , but the hard drive might fail. Another option is to rip open the time machine , take the hard drive out and carry it with you and put the enclosure in ur luggage

TIP: I carried my Mac mini 2011 in my back pack from Hongkong to India. No problem at all !

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When it is powered down, the HDD heads are parked. HDDs are vulnerable to shock when it is spinning and accessing data... not when they are off. You will not damage your TC. Just stick in in your backpack. No need to even bubble wrap it.

/Jim

9. alq macrumors member

Really no problem with hand luggage. I was taking my Mac Mini with me in hand luggage several times last year between Europe and South America.
    Only once they did the "explosive" test. After the test, the security guy asked me "By the way, what is it? An external hard disk?". I just replied "Yeah, kind of..".
    I am doing that with all my sensitive (music) gear. I say, take it with you in your hand luggage!

alq.

10. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I have always carried my Time Capsule (or other definitive back up) with me on my relocations, both CONUS and overseas. I simply put it back in its original packaging and place it in my shoulder bag.

It is not as big nor fragile as you think.