Reluctantly considering Facebook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tomacorno, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Tomacorno macrumors regular

I tried a few search variations but did not see what I was looking for - if there is an existing thread I would appreciate being pointed that way!

I have avoided Facebook thus far but now with kids leaving the nest, people at work defaulting to making announcements on Facebook, and a friend who just sent me a note that I could see pictures of their new baby on Facebook...well, it is getting harder to avoid. I don't like what I perceive to be its privacy invasion, or its methods of tracking people. From facial recognition to ... well, I am not here to gripe about Facebook. I am here to ask whether there is any secure way to use it on my Mac.

Should I set up a separate user account on my Mac just for Facebook? Would that help prevent its access to the rest of my life and keep my Mac more secure? No admin rights for that account, etc... What about if I only ran Facebook under Guest user account?
    Are any of you Mac Rumors readers doing anything with Facebook to make it less intrusive but still allowing you to get on it if you need to?
    Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your OS X account has nothing to do with Facebook. Just use the web browser to sign into FB, when you're done, sign out.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Read all about Facebook's privacy settings and go after them with a vengeance. Only allow friends to see your posts and photos. Don't "Like" advertising sites or businesses. Being careful with what you do provides reasonable privacy protection.

I usually use the IOS Facebook app instead of a browser. It minimizes the interactions since I have to approve Facebook's use of any other app on the iPad.