Relying on Iphone and its apps discussion..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nutsnbolts, Mar 25, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity...

I'm sure I'm not alone here but we all have, in some way form or another, placed our lives on the iPhone. From ensuring we have quick access to our contacts, from relying on social applications to keep in touch, from keeping track of your financials, etc. etc.

Looking into the future...(with the possible new iPhone this summer), how do you think all that will affect applications that we rely on today?

Obviously, new technologies spawn new features and capabilities (just look at firmware 3.0 for 3g iPhone) but all in all, I'm beginning to think that all this time and effort and ensuring the iPhone is "equipped" with all my daily managing apps, at some point, I think I'm going to get slapped in the face when I decide to go with the new iPhone.

Application Incompatibilities, unavailable applications (which you could have relied on), I think it's a nightmare.

I'm beginning to think that I should just proceed with the bare minimum. This way when the time comes, the transition isn't mind-blowing.

What do you guys think?

2. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Slapped in the face by features...

Its possible you could......adjust? :eek:

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I don't think it's quite there yet.

I've tried to use it for things like Ebay and Paypal. It's still a bit unreliable and slow for daily use. It's great for confined App's, but connected App's are a crapshoot depending on where you live.

I think it's up to AT&T to step up and continue their network buildout. They have an incredible opportunity to really distance themselves from the competition, but it's still not there yet.

Let's see if the next gen iPhone can bring us a little closer.

4. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, definitely not there yet but I am counting that another leap will be made this summer. First leap, introduction of the iPhone. Second leap, bridging the technology (software with hardware).

Obviously, it will never stabilize and import and exports will be something that is going to be human responsibility forever. Gotta love technology.

5. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

You missed the point of my post. Yes, it's about adjusting...

The question I'm asking is do you adjust to the current market and just look at today or do you keep an eye in the future and be "conservative" to prepare for what may come.

I think everyone has or had "adjusted"

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Are you saying that all the money we're spending on applications will be useless in the future? Part of that is true and it's already happening.

People who bought the following wasted their money (come Summer time)
    Please note, some people actually bought similar apps from different devs.

An MMS app
    A Widescreen Email App
    A Widescreen SMS App
    A Widescreen Notes App
    A Notes App with Copy and Paste
    A Tethering App (maybe)
    A vCard Emailing App
    A Multiple Photo Emailing App

The list is probably longer, but that's all I can think of right now.

7. jbrucato macrumors member

I think you should just adjust to today. You should always look into the future and anticipate what's going to happen but lets face it: If you keep waiting for technology, you're never going to purchase anything because it's constantly changing. You're always going to be waiting around. I say to just jump in and purchase the new technology based on your personal preference. I know people that will wait and wait and never buy anything because they say that it will be outdated within months. Hey...that's the world we live in. If you see a new revision to a product come out and it's going to cost you, just do a simply cost benefit/pros and cons analysis!! I think that's what you were implying in your post? Sorry if it's completely out of left field....

8. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Heh..true.. I wonder if the OP was as devastated with the invention of DVR, color TV, etc...oh my :eek: :p

9. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, my initial post must be too complicated for some people.

Here for the laymans...

10. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

You're in the right field. It is all about cost analysis and I agree with your statement. It's actually what I preach to others as well, If you don't buy now, you'll never buy.

Unfortunately for us, technology evolves so fast that the cost/benefits start to lose because you want something to last you awhile but by the time you get accustomed to something, you're ready to upgrade or move on to another application.