Remaining disk space?

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
Well they’re all going to be estimates because  has that info sequestered. So everyone is going to calculate it differently.

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
The storage space apps are basically useless for the tvOS, as the used/free space displayed could be over 10GBs higher than actual app data stores due to the cache.

Actually the cache could probably much more than that.

Bought that one for .99. It seems to conflict with another TV app I bought for .99 as this one reports I have 17GB free and the other one reports I have 16GB free.
AFAIK, there is no accurate way of knowing free space on tvOS.

I think even Xcode gives estimates.

The main reason why is that tvOS can keep a large amount of data cached. This temporary data stays stored on the ATV’s storage until the OS determines that the data needs to be dumped to make room for more data.

The cached data is counted as used data even though it is temporary

When trying to fill up my 64GB ATV4 (just to see if it can be done), I kept track of the used and free storage using one of the apps. Every time I got to less than 1GB of free space, the OS would free up more data.

Reactions: jwolf6589

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The main reason why is that tvOS can keep a large amount of data cached. This temporary data stays stored on the ATV’s storage until the OS determines that the data needs to be dumped to make room for more data.
That sounds very similar to how it behaves on macOS. 3rd party apps say I am almost out of free disk space. macOS System Info says I have 50% of my disk free.
Apparently macOS itself considers space taken by local TimeMachine snapshots as disposable and will free disk space as needed.