? remains on screen, cant install SL, or Tiger mac pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lovehaight, Nov 28, 2009.

1. lovehaight macrumors member

have followed what steps I could for the Q mark page in Apple.....former owner was a bank and was toldthey wiped the system..but I cannot get SL to load (family pack-although for macbook-difference?)...holding the c button, the ? will turn to a gray screen, but eventually the disc ejects and ? returns

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

What MAc?

To get accurate help, you will need to state the Mac you are referring to, and yes there is a difference in the OS X Install Disks. You need a retail disk, and not one that came with a different computer, both for licensing reasons and because it will not work!
    Once you get an Install disk that works, you would be best advised to create a partition - one or more - and use the options button to specify the type of partition correctly for the Mac you have, GUID for an Intel machine, as there is no way to know if the "bank" did it correctly when they erased the disk.
    :apple::cool::apple:

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Might need to grab a FW cable and start the bank sourced machine in target disk mode and install the OS from the MacBook.

4. lovehaight thread starter macrumors member

I believe thats what he did when he installed SL from his macbook to my moms imac...if theyre different why was he able to do that? it is a family pack after all, only used twice...so, when he comes back tonight, try running a FW from the macbook to the mac pro? forgive my ignorance, what is start from target disk mode? will that work do you think? could it be the driver for the monitor? but the ? and file are there...

5. lovehaight thread starter macrumors member

no help over here? have gotten much input on macforums..as it stands I cannot load any OS tiger or SL....have tried two keyboards...so far the best options seem to be 1 optical drive 2 maybe installing SL from a firewire to a macbook as sunbaked says...any other suggestions? BTW the machine (mac pro) is in the title.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since it is a Mac Pro, pull the hard drive.

Reset the PRAM the 3 times, and Reset SMC

Boot from the DVD using the c modifier, and set the DVD as the startup drive.

Reinstall the HD and format it.

Install the OS.

Reselect the HD as startup drive.

---

If you are using the SL Family pack it should boot from the DVD, unless you are trying to use a wireless keyboard -- in which case you might have a tough time.

Of course this is also a bank they could simply have plugged the drive into a PC using eSATA and wiped it on the PC leaving it formatted as a Windows drive. May cause some issues.

7. lovehaight thread starter macrumors member

didnt work, makes sense about the bank..going to call the auction, they said their man John wiped them (7) himself..should be able to find if he did that..in that case, next step is/ install os from external HD? will i be able to format it then, do you know? thanks now i have the 3 options