Remap caps lock key to toggle FN key?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Walling1, May 9, 2010.

1. Walling1 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a way to remap the FN key to the Caps Lock key on my i7 MacBook Pro.

I almost never use caps lock, but I often toggle the F keys between the F1-F12 and Apple's functions - volume, keyboard brightness, etc, and that means going to the keyboard prefs in system prefs, which is time consuming and annoying.

I've tried an app called PCKeyboardHack, which reassigns the keycode sent when the caps lock key is pressed, but the fn key doesn't seem to have a keycode, I'm guessing because it changes the keycode of the f keys. I used an app called Full Key Codes 1.2 to try and find it, but nothing shows up when just the fn key is pressed.

FYI, I'm using a few different audio editors, such as Protools, which use the F1-F12 keys.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

I would love this as well.

I have a few applications that use the F keys, and it would be great to be able to toggle the Fn key functionality off/on.

Apple should also make their keyboard with SEPARATE function keys. The Fn key needs to die. I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts, but I only have so many fingers to use multiple modifier keys.

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Seeing as in two years, you are the only other one who seems to have shown a desire for this functionality, I would not hold my breath. Having an FN lock could cause some other undesired behavior as it also modifies the behavior of backspace, enter and the arrow keys.