Remap "Control" to "Function" in Win on MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by metropolitim, Nov 26, 2007.

1. metropolitim macrumors member

Okay here's the deal. I'm in Windows on my MBP. Loving it. Except one thing.

The function key on the MBP keyboard is exactly where I expect the Control key to be. In other words, I want the Control key, NOT the Function key, to be the lowermost, leftmost key.

I know there are Mac programs that can remap control and command when I'm using the MBP as a Mac....but when I'm using the MBP as a Windows computer, I'm stumped.

Suggestions?

2. Red Sox macrumors regular

I wondered the same thing.

I did manage to find a great software for remapping keys and creating custom shortcuts.

www.autohotkey.com

I used this to allow the Command Key (the Windows Key in XP) to be used as Ctrl. So, for example, pressing Command + C is "Copy." Also, since there is no "PrintScreen" I made a shortcut for it: Command + P. Also, I made Command + Backspace = Forward Delete. It's very easy to use this software.

However, I have not been able to find a way to remap the Fn key. There probably is a way but I haven't looked into it much. But being able to use the Command key is great for me, since I'm used to using it for OSX.

It would be nice to be able to remap the Fn and Ctrl keys on a MacBook, mainly when I'm playing FPS games, where Ctrl is used to Crouch. It's pretty awkward having to use the WASD keys for moving the guy around while holding the CTRL key in that location.

3. DENZIE macrumors member

DENZIE

i don't think this will answer your question but I know that in unity with fusion, it remaps the ctrl key function in the windows app to the command key. Pretty sweet, now you can just keep using the command key instead of remembering to switch all the time.

4. metropolitim thread starter macrumors member

This is the exact opposite of what I want to do. :) I'm using Windows on my MBP, so I want to use the control key all the time and never have to touch the Splat key.

Or to be precise, I want to use the function key AS the control key. And indeed, I've now found a number of Mac utilities to do that. In the Mac OS, though, not when running Windows.

So I think you're right, that Unity may well be my best solution. Thanks for the recommendation! I was just hoping to avoid that miserable Mac interface if at all possible. :D

5. nsb3000 macrumors 6502

nsb3000

This is a good suggestion. I do the same thing, and it makes a big difference in my productivity, as I'm constantly switching back and forth between OS X and Windows with the same keyboard.

Remap the command key to the control key in Windows, add this to your script:

Code:
    LWin::Control
    RWin::Control

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not wanting to sound like a total arse but wouldnt plugging in a windows keyboard work while in xp or vista?

7. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Thanks

Man, I was about to throw this machine out of the window, you're a lifesaver.

Visual Studio + Resharper is heavy on the ctrl/alt and not having a ctrl key on the right-hand side of the keyboard is a real pain.

Cheers,
    Palad1