Remap dashboard key (f4) to launchpad in Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rusty33, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Rusty33, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Hi team,

Has anyone successfully remapped their dashboard (f4) key to undertake the launchpad function (as is done on new apple keyboards)?

I understand that this is possible by ticking the "Use all F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys" box under keyboard, but then you lose ALL of the functionality of the Apple special keys.

Cheers!

*EDIT - I note that this same topic has picked up some traction on the blog post page
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/22/apple-updates-standalone-keyboards-for-os-x-lion/

2. Rusty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Rusty33

3. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I installed Function Flip a few hours ago. Works great for anyone who wants to change the Dashboard key.

4. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

For those who might be interested, instead of remapping the F4 key, you can assign the (depending on your laptop model) empty F5 key to load launchpad, or show desktop, or what have you, by setting the keyboard shortcuts in the keyboard panel of the system preferences.

5. jesseaknee macrumors newbie

Map to F5 and F6

On my iMac I have both F5 and F6 empty so, I mapped Launchpad to F5 and Show Desktop to F6. No special software required. Much easier and works great. Sure you have to remember that you put them there, but if you can't remember that then you aren't using them enough to care anyway, right?

6. Rusty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Or do this.....[​IMG]
    Courtesy of the macblog thread...

7. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

lol. that would work

8. orthorim macrumors 6502

Great stuff, using it on my Retina MacBook Pro to remap the F4 key to Dashboard. I use Dashboard all the time, and I have so far not found any uses for LaunchPad. Presenting me with four screens of colorful icons isn't making anything easier or faster... completely useless feature for me.