Remap mic/line-in to line-out?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wiz561, Dec 15, 2008.

1. wiz561 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have a question about the audio in/out on a macbook. Ultimately, I'd like to output the audio to both digital (TOSLINK) and analog at the same time. I'd like to hook my macbook up to the tv and sometimes I will listen though the receiver and sometimes I'll listen through the tv.

Is it possible to have the line-in/microphone in jack on the macbook output analog sound instead of using it as a line-in?

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I really don't believe so. Someone know for certain?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't believe what you're trying to do is possible. However, using a digital audio splitter and a few adapter cables, I'm sure you can find a combination of cabling that works.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Rogue Amoeba's free LineIn will do exactly what you're looking for. :)

Edit: Bear in mind that you may need to run multiple instances of LineIn simultaneously in order to output to multiple devices. I haven't played with it in a while, but you may also find Soundflower to be of use.

Edit 2: Wow, I completely misread your post. No, short of a hardware hack, I don't think that's possible. It might be possible to find a splitter that allows you to run digital and analog output off the MacBook's headphone jack simultaneously, but I'm really not sure how the hardware would respond to that.