Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narocroc123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Hiya, this is my first post so apologies if this is an old topic!

I want to map the function key so that is can be used as the control key. This is driving me made and speeding up my RSI!!

Can anyone help?

Cheers

DAN

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hiya, this is my first post so apologies if this is an old topic!

I want to map the function key so that is can be used as the control key. This is driving me made and speeding up my RSI!!

Can anyone help?

Cheers

DAN

Why do you want to do this? You already have a control key on your keyboard.

narocroc123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Why do you want to do this? You already have a control key on your keyboard.

Hiya,

I know but it is in the wrong spot. i use a piece of software that requires constant pressing of the shift and control keys together and the location on the Macbook keyboard is making it very tricky...I would prefer the control functionality where the function key is if this makes sense.

Cheers

DAN

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hiya,

I know but it is in the wrong spot. i use a piece of software that requires constant pressing of the shift and control keys together and the location on the Macbook keyboard is making it very tricky...I would prefer the control functionality where the function key is if this makes sense.

Cheers

DAN

Sorry, but I would suggest that you get used to it.

Remapping these keys could cause havoc on your macbook. If you go into System Prefs -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts and scroll to the bottom, I think you can add your application to the "Application Keyboard Shortcuts" (hit the + button to add your application) and do your mapping there so it does not affect the entire MacBook.

narocroc123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Sorry, but I would suggest that you get used to it.

Remapping these keys could cause havoc on your macbook. If you go into System Prefs -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts and scroll to the bottom, I think you can add your application to the "Application Keyboard Shortcuts" (hit the + button to add your application) and do your mapping there so it does not affect the entire MacBook.

Excellent thanks. I assume you are talking about the MacOS system preferences but the app I'm using runs under XP. Does this change in MacOS affect apps in windows?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

DAN

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Excellent thanks. I assume you are talking about the MacOS system preferences but the app I'm using runs under XP. Does this change in MacOS affect apps in windows?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

DAN

No. I'm not a Windows expert. If you want to change keyboard mapping in Windows, you'll have to search for it. Isn't there a control panel in XP for this?

daberelay

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
did u ever find a solution for that

Hey Dan,

Amazed to find someone with the same problem i have - only a year wiser... :)

did u ever find a solution to this agonizing issue? i found that fn key is not even sending events to the windows message loop, so i'm quite desparete.

the only thing i can think of is physically bridging the fp and ctrl buttons, so the pinkie could go down and grab it like i'm used to :)

other solution is selling mac and buying dell...

please assist,
Nimrod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.