Remaping the 'Fn' key to 'Control' under XP on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by narocroc123, Jun 4, 2008.

1. narocroc123 macrumors newbie

Hiya, this is my first post so apologies if this is an old topic!

I want to map the function key so that is can be used as the control key. This is driving me made and speeding up my RSI!!

Can anyone help?

Cheers

DAN

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Why do you want to do this? You already have a control key on your keyboard.

3. narocroc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hiya,

I know but it is in the wrong spot. i use a piece of software that requires constant pressing of the shift and control keys together and the location on the Macbook keyboard is making it very tricky...I would prefer the control functionality where the function key is if this makes sense.

Cheers

DAN

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Sorry, but I would suggest that you get used to it.

Remapping these keys could cause havoc on your macbook. If you go into System Prefs -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts and scroll to the bottom, I think you can add your application to the "Application Keyboard Shortcuts" (hit the + button to add your application) and do your mapping there so it does not affect the entire MacBook.

5. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Double Command?

has anyone tried Double Command? I'm not sure if it'll do what you want or not. And it is beta, so use at your own risk.

How about this one? Link It's 15 bucks.

6. narocroc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent thanks. I assume you are talking about the MacOS system preferences but the app I'm using runs under XP. Does this change in MacOS affect apps in windows?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

DAN

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

No. I'm not a Windows expert. If you want to change keyboard mapping in Windows, you'll have to search for it. Isn't there a control panel in XP for this?

8. daberelay macrumors newbie

did u ever find a solution for that

Hey Dan,

Amazed to find someone with the same problem i have - only a year wiser... :)

did u ever find a solution to this agonizing issue? i found that fn key is not even sending events to the windows message loop, so i'm quite desparete.

the only thing i can think of is physically bridging the fp and ctrl buttons, so the pinkie could go down and grab it like i'm used to :)

other solution is selling mac and buying dell...

please assist,
    Nimrod.

9. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Use Keytweak. Its simple and works for Windows XP, Vista and 7.