Remapping Keys on PS/2 Keyboard in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NODEraser, Dec 26, 2008.

1. NODEraser macrumors newbie

I suppose this would also apply to using a PC USB keyboard with OS X...

I have an old iMac G3 350 that I've setup for occasional research/music use in the garage, and since I don't have a spare Apple keyboard and it's not worth sinking any money into, I'm using a USB-PS/2 converter with a standard PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Some things have remapped themselves, such as the Windows key being Apple/Command, F12 being Eject, Scroll Lock being Contrast down and Pause/Break being Contrast up.

I am interested in getting some of the other function keys remapped, especially play/pause, forward, reverse, and volume control keys. In my Google searching, I've only come across utilities that allow remapping of keys on Apple keyboards, not standard PC keyboards. Does anyone have a favorite utility to do this, or is it even possible? I tried playing around with the keyboard section in System Preferences, but it seems that you can only set up shorcuts there for menu commands.

For reference, this Mac is running OS X 10.3.9 and has 384 MB of RAM. Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The remapping utilities should work the same way on any keyboard. That takes place in software as the operating system interprets the keystrokes, not in the keyboard itself.