Remapping Launchpad key to Dashboard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bahen, Jan 4, 2012.

1. bahen macrumors newbie

There are a number of sources on the Internet that explain how to remap the Dashboard key on pre-Lion machines to Launchpad, but none that I have found that might work for remapping the Launchpad key to Dashboard. I liked how a single key would bring up Dashboard on my older machine, and I don't care much for Launchpad, so help in remapping this would be much appreciated. I am running an MBP Dec 2011, OS 10.7.2

With thanks,
    bahen

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

try
    System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts>Mission Control.
    check Show Dashboard, select F4.

u may need functionflip to first disable F4 (not sure...)

3. bahen thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't work, sadly. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Use KeyRemap4MacBook.

Search for Launchpad in its preference pane and you'll see the option 'Launchpad to Dashboard'. Select it and you're done.

5. bahen thread starter macrumors newbie

Simplicated, many thanks for this. Does this software run in the background at all times or does it 'hardwire' a change? I would like to remap things without having additional software running in the background, though I suspect that that would be too ideal. Further thoughts would be appreciated.

6. esreid macrumors newbie

Remap launchpad key to dashboard on MacBook

Another thanks to Simplicated. A couple other notes to add to this thread, things I learned while trying to solve this problem.

If you first updated to Lion with a pre-Lion keyboard, it kept F4 as Dashboard. That may be why you didn't encounter this problem before.

Newer keyboards are hard coded to have F4 as launchpad -- none of the basic System Prefs changes will alter this, even though it looks like they will (what's up with that, Apple??!). You shouldn't waste time trying. :) Just download the new software.

KeyRemap got 4 of 5 mouses from MacWorld, but their complaint is about its interface, which I agree is a little intimidating for a casual user. It requires a restart to launch. Once you install it, you access it through System Prefs::Other. In the Change Key window, look for "Change F1...F9 key" then "Change functional key."

Under that option, check "Launchpad to Dashboard." You'll be all set then.