Remapping US keyboard to UK

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by highgreave, Jul 24, 2008.

  1. highgreave macrumors newbie

    Jul 24, 2008
    Please be gentle with me because this is my first post on this forum.
    I live in England but visit the US twice a year and I was thinking of buying a MacBook on my next visit there next because they are much cheaper in the US than the UK. I am not a Mac user but I am thinking of moving from Windows.
    I called in at an Apple Store on my last visit to the US and tried to get an answer from one of the “geniuses” there and they failed to answer my question, can any of you out there help me?
    The question is, I know the US keyboard is different from the UK one but can I remap the US keyboard to replicate the UK one?? The UK keyboard has a £ sign over the 3 where your # is and the @ is over ‘ not over the 2. I suspect that it would be in the keyboard set up like in Windows but no one in the store could help me. That is not quite true they told me to buy one in the UK.
    I know this will not move the symbols on the key pads but as I am used to the UK keyboard it does not matter.
    Many thanks
  2. logana macrumors 65816


    Feb 4, 2006
    Hi - I have a US MacBook which I use with an external USB keyboard (UK layout). When I use the MacBook's US keyboard and press shift+3 I get a pound sign and alt+2 gives the Euro sign.

    I did not do anything other than pull the HD out of my old (UK) MacBook and put it in the new US one.

    I think it is simply a matter of setting the machine up for UK localisation when you enter your details on the Welcome screen when you first start up the machine. It is fairly easy to get replacement keys for the 2 and 3 keys if you really want to....
  3. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

    Oct 1, 2006
    I dunno if you realized this, but both # and the symbol for GBP are both called "pound signs" in American English, thus confusing me.
  4. highgreave thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 24, 2008
    Another case of two nations separated by the same language, here in the UK we call the # sign Hash or Gate and the £ sign Pound as in GBP.
  5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

    Aug 18, 2005
    Under the international preference pane in OS X, you can have several keyboards activated, and switch between them from a menubar icon.

Share This Page