Remember D-Day today....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Keebler, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hey folks,

Today is the anniversary of D-Day. I wanted to mention it b/c sometimes we need to stop this busy lifestyle to remember the sacrifices of our past generations, who gave their youth, innocence and for many, their lives, in order for us to live the life we have.

We should really do it everyday, but especially on days like today.

For me personally, D-Day and the Normandy campaign were the most significant battles of the 20th century. Guys trained for up to 5 years together before parachuting or jumping out of landing boats - many drowned or gunned down before they could even fire their weapon. Then they broke the powerful Nazi hold on France and began the path to victory...one that wasn't easy.

So, put down that cell phone, pause before surfing the next website and just take a minute to remember.

btw, I'm annoyed that I can't seem to find a major Canadian newspaper website with anything about DDay.... (when there used to be in the past).

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Man I can't believe I forgot about that or haven't seen that on the news but it's only morning.

Thanks for reminding me Keebler and thank you to those who had made the ultimate sacrifice for paving the way to freedom in Europe.

3. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Man I'm really dissappointed in myself, my father was in the RAAF in New Guinea.

Wow, thanks Keebler

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Ive had my poppy on all day (yes I know its the symbol for another day, but its the best way I can think to remember the brave people who gave their lives so that I may enjoy the freedoms I have).

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Here is an interesting web site.

Scroll down to see the casualties. Staggering numbers to say the least.

We owe a huge debt of gratitude to those brave young individuals from all countries that were part of D-Day and the invasion of Normandy.

Keebler, thanks for making the thread.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

What is interesting is that not only did I remember that today was D-Day, but I also happened to go visit the former Nazi Concentration Camp near Munich.

7. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

no problem. thanks for the linky.

i might pop in a band of brothers episode...the one where they jump, just for the heck of it.

8. Evangelion macrumors 68040

And in few days time, we will have the anniversary of the Fourth Strategic Offensive of the Red Army, that was launched in coordination with the Invasion of Normandy. I lost my grandfather there.

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thank you for bringing this up. The Eastern Front saw some of the bloodiest battles of WW2 and little is spoken of, it seems, in North America. I just read "panzer gunner" - a book by Bruno Friesen who is Canadian born, but was sent over by his parents in 1939. He served in tanks and his book told of heavy tank battles with the Russians. It was an eye opener for me to that side of the war. I'm making a point of visiting the library to find out more.

cheers,
    keebler