Remember I am new to Mac ? about recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Franny4321, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Franny4321 macrumors member

I am wanting to make a recovery disk (dvd) so I can boot from the dvd drive if something bad happens. I have read and read all the instructions, etc. Now I just need to know in simple newbie language. Macbook pro came with Snow Leopard and i upgraded to Lion from the apple store. I can not find the files or folder that instructions keep referring to- "install os x lion. app". Supposely from directions, I am to find this in applications. Using finder and spotlight, I do not find it. Can someone help me? I just want to be able to boot if all heck breaks out.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

You download a file to install Lion. But the installer deletes itself (yippie), I believe. I couldn't find it either.

Anyway, if something bad happens you can use the restore partition. So if you want to reinstall it's on there.

If you want to have something laying around, you can make an installer on a USB stick. Simsaladimbamba linked to the page how to do that. (the "Lion recovery disk assistant").

There is a way to burn it to DVD. It says you need the installer package again. I think you can redownload the installer with right clicking or option clicking.

4. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I am going to attempt this later today. Time change has me off balance but I will follow the directions from the articles. Apple store should let me download it again, correct?

5. simsaladimbamba

Do you have a Lion Recovery partition?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Can someone help me? I just want to be able to boot if all heck breaks out."

First, get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items listed, they all work the same, just pick one you like that's cheap)

Then, get a "bare SATA drive" from the vendor of your choice.

Then, download the free CarbonCopyCloner from:
    http://bombich.com

Put the drive in the dock and connect it to the Mac.
    Turn it on, when it spins up open Disk Utility and initialize it to HFS+
    Run CCC and choose to do a full backup of your main drive.
    (Note: CCC can also do incremental backups later on)

You will now have an exact copy of your internal drive which is also bootable. You CAN'T do that with Time Machine. DO NOT rely on TM to help you if you need a bootable drive in an emergency.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

A very good suggestion! I mean, you could always boot the computer using alt+R and then restore it with Time Machine, but using your option you're covered in the case of the internal drive being corrupt and you don't have to wait for the restore to be done.

I know I'm not the OP, but thanks for the tip! With incremental backups I might just use that instead of Time Machine...

8. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

I tried the recovery disk assistant. Must have done something wrong for it did not work. In fact, mac did not want to start very well after my experiment- finally got it going. It just seems strange a person would have to buy a drive dock and a drive just to get a bootable disk. I have paid for the software-a copy should be mine. I am finding that apple does like to nickel and dime someone to death. The very reason I don't own an iPhone. Oh well, off subject. Is there any other way around this problem? I do own a copy of SL,so in case of emergency would I be able to start up with SL after Lion had been installed. I do want to thank everyone for trying to help such a beginner. This forum is the greatest.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"It just seems strange a person would have to buy a drive dock and a drive just to get a bootable disk."

Why is it strange?

If your internal hard drive fails (generally due to a mechanical/hardware problem), you won't be able to boot from the recovery partition, in any case. The recovery partition is on the same internal hard drive that your normal boot partition is on. If that drive goes, it's -all- gone...

The only pathway to booting will be to have an EXTERNAL boot source of some sort.

That's why I recommended what I did.
    But there's more to it.

If you use CarbonCopyCloner to create a bootable backup, you will ALSO have an exact copy of everything that's on your "main" drive, including system files, apps, and most importantly, your personal data.

If for ANY reason you can't get booted from the internal drive, just connect the external drive (can be a standalone external or the docked drive that I suggested), and you'll be back up and running in a few moments. You can then "go to work" on the problem with the internal drive.

Having an external backup clone will save your *##(@ at some future date in time!