Remember Multiplan?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rabsparks, Feb 24, 2012.

1. rabsparks macrumors newbie

I bought a copy of Microsoft's Multiplan around 1985. It didn't have all the bells and whistles that any version of Excel has or had, but it worked. And it did everything that MS said without any issues.

Then I bought Excel when MS "upgraded" Multiplan to Excel. And over the years I bought several copies of Excel, finally getting Excel 2011. Before that I had Excel 2004 and was happy with that.

Now I find that Excel 2011 crashes on a daily basis, won't upgrade spreadsheets that MS said that it should have, and does all kinds of weird things. This makes my use of Excel 2011 every day, torture.

Either MS isn't hiring the programmers that it used to a la Multiplan and Excel 2004, or all the evolutions of Excel 2011 have definitely tolled the bell for this program.

I use of some Excel 2011's features, so I have no choice but to bear with MS as far as 2011 is concerned. But buy Excel again...NEVER.

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I think you must have a problem with your system, as my copy of Excel 2011 has not crashed once. I purchased it on launch day. Most stable copy of Excel that I have ever had for Mac. Excel 2008 was not as stable.

3. dknightd macrumors 6502

I was cleaning up recently and tossed my old multiplan disks, and recycled the manuals. Then I find I could have sold them on ebay! Word 1.0 as well.
    I don't have any problem with excel from office 2011 (except they keeping
    moving around command keys and stuff)

4. TimO-Florida macrumors newbie

I kept my floppy disks from my Mac128k as keepsakes. ;-)

When we got the 128k my wife carried the 35lb set around as a 'laptop' on business (there weren't many alternatives back in those days!)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have never seen excel crash. I use it daily and find it one of the most stable applications.

If you're incurring crashes then something is wrong, some sort of corruption os something.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use Excel extensively and daily and it doesn't crash, even with extremely large and complex workbooks. If it's crashing, there's a problem on that particular computer that needs to be resolved. It's not normal for the app to crash at all.