Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
On Jan 27th after the iPad was announced somebody posted this as a reaction in the MacRumors iPad thread:

"Sounds very revolutionary to me.

hey - heres an idea Apple - rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why dont you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive and crap server line up?
or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm? "

It took a while for people to get the reference. ;)

Fast Forward nine years or so and that consumer gimmick has turned them in to a company that has reached $200 billion in market capitalisation.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
lol here's a little nugget from that thread:

This isn't revoltionary!

I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
It's the hysterics that get to me.

The thread may be from a different time in response to a different product, but the hysterics are the same. Like they know better and this product spells the death of everything they love.

I want something new! I want them to think differently!

Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
Only the shortsighted are lamenting.

It's about the applications, not necessarily the platform.

The iPad, and further revisions, will yield some amazing apps where laptops are too cumbersome to carry around.
Flash or multitasking not necessarily required.

Also there are many places this could be of great use with custom applications that forbid cameras on laptops or phones (military/defense/etc).

Crying that it won't play Farmville or Mob Wars is myopic.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
But the iPod was a new (to) apple product.

With the Pad they are just enlarging a existing product with a bit of adjustment around the trimmings and calling it a revolutionary and magical product.

That's what I think peeves most people.

If they just killed the hype and said we are making iPod-maxi because it will provide a better experience for web-surfing and playing game than our phone or touch no one would be bitching.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
But the iPod was a new (to) apple product.

With the Pad they are just enlarging a existing product with a bit of adjustment around the trimmings and calling it a revolutionary and magical product.

That's what I think peeves most people.

If they just killed the hype and said we are making iPod-maxi because it will provide a better experience for web-surfing and playing game than our phone or touch no one would be bitching.

and all they did with the ipod touch is remove a couple of things and look at that. they REMOVED things and it was a success.

danlovaj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Hilarous thread! What a blast from the past. I forgot about my sony walkman. Never heard of a jukebox, so i guess it never worked out? Reading that old thread you could put ipad inplace of ipod and it would be the same! It seems like they were wanting the ipad then. Imagine if the ipad came out in place of the ipod. Would everyone love it or still be whining? What ppl described they wanted, an iNewton took ten years to be reality. They wanted a PDA, well, six years later the iPhone arrives. I guess tech is not keeping up as fast as we want. I thought we would be in flying cars ala Back to the Future II.

I have a feeling that ipad threads will be resurrected ten years from now and we too will be laughing at how wrong people are. Lol.

Remember, this is only the beginning of the iPad era. Rev 2 and 3 and 4 and so on will only be better. I believe there is less chance of iPad failing then there was with iPod at its launch. After all, iPod was a totally new foray for Apple. Today, Apple, Inc has the experience of being the number one mobile devices manufacturer, relying on their experiences with iPod and iPhone to build the iPad. Believe it or not, Apple, Inc. knows what they are doing, or they wouldn't be a multibillion dollar company and growing when most other PC companies are tanking.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
I have a feeling that ipad threads will be resurrected April 4 and we too will be laughing at how wrong people are!

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
What about the MacBook Air? It was suppose to fill a "laptop market" (Jobs words) that "existed". Hmm...yeah, no one cared about the thing after two months. It was too...wait for it...LIMITED!

Once the iPad gets all the Apple fanbois to buy in they're going to get crushed by all the competitors who will design a similar product that will do more at the same price. Most of the features the iPad won't support is all software, not hardware.

danlovaj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
What about the MacBook Air? It was suppose to fill a "laptop market" (Jobs words) that "existed". Hmm...yeah, no one cared about the thing after two months. It was too...wait for it...LIMITED!

Once the iPad gets all the Apple fanbois to buy in they're going to get crushed by all the competitors who will design a similar product that will do more at the same price. Most of the features the iPad won't support is all software, not hardware.

The iPad is made to fill the realm of netbooks, which already have an established market. For me personally, I am selling my netbook and replacing it with the iPad because the iPad does everything better that I need it for then the netbook does. Despite the imitation from other companies, none of them have the base of the App store like iPad will. I welcome competition, and until they make their product as good as Apple does then it is no contest. Remember, "it just works." Maybe overused by Steve Jobs and Co., but a very important phrase for the majority of the public who use technology. Technology is suppose to be invisible to the mainstream user in delivering its services.

I feel like this discussion is going in circles.... To each their own.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Yes, I remember those days very well.

So many naysayers back then. Friends thought I was stupid for purchasing an original iPod.

I expect that the iPad will go through the same evolution. This is Apple's first stab at it -- and a good one it is. But over time it will be improved with new features such as more memory, longer battery life, faster processor, etc. We will probably see various form factors as well.

Exciting times! :)

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
Some advice i will give to all the ipad haters. if you can show how good your product is on video that means it is not that good. The ipad is something you have to use to get.

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007

The MacBook Air fills a niche market -- people who need something more durable and powerful than a netbook but value weight and mobility over pure power. It wasn't intended to replace the existing MacBook or MacBook Pro lines directly.

They're still popular among the market it was designed for, although I think the new 13" unibody MBPs overlap it more than the MB did when it first came out. A large percentage of employees where travel is a large portion of their job carry them, namely sales personnel and senior engineers.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
The iPad, and further revisions, will yield some amazing apps where laptops are too cumbersome to carry around.
Flash or multitasking not necessarily required.

In what way is a 10" device less cumbersome to carry around than a 13" laptop? You still have to put it in a carrying bag. It's not like the ipad suddenly makes transporting something larger than a pants pocket any easier.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
How many thread 500 vs iPad announcement threads do we need?

The iPad will be a success. It doesn't matter if it's actually the best product. Apple is on a roll and is a company people trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.