Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
It was such a cool music game. Loved to test my knowledge of my 1000-song library. With touchscreen, this game would absolutely rock. Could any of you, dear developers, develop it, pretty please. :D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It was such a cool music game. Loved to test my knowledge of my 1000-song library. With touchscreen, this game would absolutely rock. Could any of you, dear developers, develop it, pretty please. :D

I hadn't thought about this, but now that you mention it, I am pretty surprised no one has done this yet.

Could it be that only Apple could make a version that can play Fairplay DRM songs? If so, that might explain the lack of developer interest in the project.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I don't think Apps from the App Store are allowed to access your Musical Library.

Memx

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
London
lol

kk well it may be about a year later, lol, u guys a probably way past this now, but they have made a music quiz for iphone/ipod touch.
just type in music quiz in ur APP STORE or in iTunes and it'll come up with a few.
The best, i'd say, is TUNES QUIZ.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
With a flexible UI, you could do a lot of neat stuff like matching the album art to the song playing and so on, instead of just matching song with title.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
I don't think Apps from the App Store are allowed to access your Musical Library.

They must be able to. Try TuneWiki. It shows song lyrics as it plays tunes from your library. It lets you look through the library by artist, album, playlist etc.

Maybe it's just accessing the ipod app by the backdoor (as it can play in the background).

However it does it, there must be a hook somewhere for developers to access your library.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
They must be able to. Try TuneWiki. It shows song lyrics as it plays tunes from your library. It lets you look through the library by artist, album, playlist etc.

Maybe it's just accessing the ipod app by the backdoor (as it can play in the background).

However it does it, there must be a hook somewhere for developers to access your library.

I don't think they can access the library but they can control the native ipod app.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I thought Devs had APIs since 3.0 that gave them access to the iPod music library?

Take tonewiki for example. It can access the the library for track information for artist, title and so forth. They have the API's for view the library and the API's to control the ipod but I don't believe they can play music files natively.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Take tonewiki for example. It can access the the library for track information for artist, title and so forth. They have the API's for view the library and the API's to control the ipod but I don't believe they can play music files natively.

Are you sure?

I thought some games had built-in music control UIs

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah, they have UI's to control the ipod that playing in the background. I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure but I'm fairly sure.

Wait, so what's the difference?

All a music quiz game would need is the ability to read the tag info and play back the music, no?

bob616

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Yeah it is definatly possible devs have access to the music library with 3.0
Maybe I should make it :rolleyes:

moremobilejanus

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
WA, USA
Previous postings are correct - developers have had access to the music library since the release of 3.0. Not the digitized music itself, but to the song meta data like titles etc etc and the ability to play it back. Hence the proliferation of music quiz apps like the 2 mentioned above but there are many more. Including mine called "Name My Tune" which I happen to like best, but obviously I'm a bit biased.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=323409488&mt=8

FYI: New version in review - setting added to EXCLUDE playlists from game play (for those that have audio that shows up as songs but aren't really songs)

Thanks for listening!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

NicholasArduini

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2015
It looks really nice. Will it also work for music that you store in the cloud or only for local music? I'm not storing any music on my iPhone itself.

Thanks I really appreciate that. It will definitely work for music stored in the cloud or Apple Music playlists which are also stored in the cloud. I spent a lot of attention to this because I know many people don't store all their music locally or they may want to try some music they found on Apple Music. The only caveat is of course depending on your internet connection, each song may take some time to load. This can become frustrating if you have to wait a few seconds for every song, but the points count down will not decrease until the song has started playing. I have also made it free in celebration of WWDC 2016, so give it a try and if you don't like it you can always delete it with no money invested.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It doesn't play nice with my non-square album artwork. :(

Is it supposed to randomly start playing music otherwise when you're not playing a game (it's shuffling)? I like it, just didn't know if that was intended or if it's a weird thing in iOS 10. Will stick it on my iPod Touch.

NicholasArduini

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2015
I'm sorry about the non square album artwork hopefully I can manage something in a future update but with all different sizes of artworks its difficult to fit 4 together and I am not a fan of cropping them, but that may just be me. As to the randomly playing music if I understand correctly yes lol its a feature not a bug. If the music player is active and a song is currently paused on your device resuming the app will play which ever song was just currently playing. This is useful when you leave the app during a game it will pause the game and song and you can resume once you come back in and the music will start playing again. There is also an update in the works just waiting for apples approval with some bug fixes causing crashes, minor improvements, and some cool new features.

Reactions: Jessica Lares
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.