Remember The Mid-Range Tower (Pic)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spacepower7, Dec 2, 2008.

1. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I remember when Apple used to offer desktop computers that I actually wanted to buy, for a reasonable price. I used my own monitor, had 3 PCI slots, room for four hard drives, all for well under $2000.

Nostalgia
    from Apple's website, January 2001

Attached Files:

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If I remember right that was Apple getting rid off all the sawtooths since they had released the quicksilver. Could be wrong that was a long time ago.

4. spacepower7 thread starter macrumors 68000

From the dates, it was Apple selling the $1599 low-end PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet (introduced in July 2000) for $1299 in January 2001, right before Macworld 2001 where Apple introduced the PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.

QuickSilver came out in July 2001.

5. n8mac macrumors 6502

Those were the days. I just buy em used because of my modest needs and modest income. Earlier this year I bought a Quicksilver for $150 shipped :) off ebay, slapped on Tiger and am loving it! It's got room for more upgrades if I ever need them. Can't say the same for my first Mac, the G3 iMac. I always suggest getting a used tower over a new iMac or mini at the same price point if you've got the room for it.

Fast forward to today, and ever since :apple:'s towers went above $2 grand for the base I stopped looking at them altogether. Shame really.

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

According to inflation, what cost $1599 in 2000 would cost $1907.89 now. A 4 core Mac Pro is $2,299. Not a huge difference.

On a side note, do people not find that these machines pay for themselves in a relatively short amount of time due to increased productivity?

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The issue is the imbalance in Apple's desktop line compared to people's hardware needs, not the actual Mac Pro itself.

8. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Exactly. I have no qualms with the price/performance ratio. I'm a firm believer you can't by a similarly-spec'd Windows box for around the same price.

The problem is, not everyone needs TWO server-based quad core processors. Plain and simple.

And yes, I know... you can just get one...

But what I want is a headless iMac with the option for better video cards... or an iMac with a 4850...

9. emt377 macrumors member

I don't know about that. Everyone I know who might conceivably want one has an iMac and wouldn't ever trade it for a tower. I don't think there is much of a market for a tower that doesn't pack real horsepower. The people I know with MP's are engineers (me and two others) or photographers (a whole bunch) - and they can afford the MP, especially since it's used for work or business and a fully deductible expense.

10. Roy macrumors 6502

Got a PowerMac G4 266 Digital Audio in January 2001. I'm still using it to this very day. Best computer I ever had.

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's really sad that Apple doesn't offer something for the "prosumers" that don't want the Mac Pro.

I just purchased a Dell XPS system with an Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz processor (4 real cores + 4 hyper threading cores), a nice ATI graphics card, 6GB of DDR3 RAM, 640GB hard drive and a 23" monitor for $1049.

I would have paid $500 more for a headless iMac without the monitor.

12. Toronto Mike macrumors regular

I'd consider a single quad processor, with/or more than 8Gb of capacity, two hard drives, space for at least one card, and an upgaradable graphics card slot - all for $1,400 to $1,600, if it was possible. And no sacrifice in useful port connections (firewire, usb, current digital video outputs) - and not what they are doing to the macbook to limit us further.

Mike

13. Evergreen macrumors member

Evergreen

Apple's towers have become luxury items for consumers. The recession might force them to finally release a mid-tower.

14. ekwipt macrumors 6502

I thinkif apple released a x58 i7 they'd make a heap of money, pc gamers would move over to mac.

Don't hink it will happen though it would make osx86 to easy and people would stop buying macpros, even the i7 macpros that may or may not get released in January next year.

Logic users don't need 8 cores, video eiditors would probably stick to 8 cores i'm thinking though

15. spacepower7 thread starter macrumors 68000

So Apple raises prices by 50% and every other computer maker has dropped them in half?

Apple used to offer towers from $1499-3499, some of us want a midrange Mac without a built-in monitor, and some expandability.
    If I want to use an Apple 30" Display, then I have to spend $2300 for a Mac Pro (not counting the laptops here) when a $600 Dell tower can use it.

I used to be a huge Apple fanboy but I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid.

The whole point of the original post was for people who have been buying and using Macs over many years. We like to reminisce about the good ol' days when Apple offered a bigger selection of Macs.

16. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I count 18 models released in 2008 not including servers, iPhones and iPods.

They released 20 models in 2001 by same criteria, so not too much of a larger lineup. Unless they kept more of the previous year's products ? Not seeing the offering that much smaller?

There are a number of carryover products from 2007 as I am sure there were in 2001 from 2000.