Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcb

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2003
I was looking through the Go-L thread and I am amazed at how many people lied, told half truths, or simply revealed their absolute stupidity. Here are only a few examples. I am really amazed at what some of you will do or say to look smart (or whatever your motive is). I guess my queation is how far will some of you go to be right?

I sent the link to my friend because his uncle works for IBM's advanced research department with the PCs and he says the P4 specs and Xeon specs are *way* off (And IBM has a lot of experience with Xeon workstations)

Apparantly his uncle is a janitor in the advanced research department. THIS IS A JOKE for those who don't realize it.

makes outrageous claims that it can’t seem to back up, products that don’t really exist, clueless customer service and form letter e-mails…

I'm still trying to figure out where he this poster gets anything about customer service and form emails. Makes no sense to me

I can't even think of any experimental futuristic computers coming out in the next decade with 74 PCI slots, HD in RAM, that kind of performance, and everything. It looks like they just took every buzz term from any computer they found and multiplied the specs by 20 and came up with a "ultimate computer to prove that Apple's G5 sucks". Seriously, it just looks like they are trying to prove the G5 isn't as fast because they are able to make up a fantasy computer that would be faster...I may wish that I had a Ferrari in my driveway or that my Ford Probe could handle like one, but all the wishing in the world won't make it so...so how do they figure wishing up this computer would suddenly "prove" that the G5 is "so much slower"?

Why do you think everything is an attack against the G5?

Good lord, this is a legitimate company and people on this board totally ransacked it.

Admitantly, I was skeptical at first...but I didn't make up lies to attack this company. Did you guys do this to defend apple or what. Flame me, ban me...nut I would really like to know why some people lie on discussion boards.

Independence

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
United States
Re: Remember this thread: This website is ripping apple's look and feel off.?

Originally posted by dcb
I would really like to know why some people lie on discussion boards.
until they get caught, it makes them feel special.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
I find the ratings amusing too. On the front page, people rate news articles with negatives if the article says the Intel world is doing something.

If Apple is doing something, however, it is a positive, except when the G5 delay news came out.

I would much rather see posts that have some concrete info behind them rather posts that have no relevance at all.

I saw one person say that Windows had to be rebooted every hour. Hmmm... Mine's been up for over a couple of weeks and I don't have an issue. But I still want a Mac... ;)

dcb

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2003
Thank you Tom.

Sincerely, the point is that either there is going to be a valid discussion where people try their best to be truthful and honest and don't make up facts. There seems to be this double standard on this board...

If it has to do with a PC...lie, cheat and do whatever it takes to be the biggest and baddest pc basher. That may be the same on PC boards (the other way of course), I don't know. SOme people use these discussion boards to make an educated decision on their opinions and purchases. When someone lies, it ruins the credibility of the board as well as the person.

One of my favorites is the guy who lied so he could be a "switcher" story on Apple.com then brag about it here. How far will some people go? Especially to switch pc users. I just don't understand it at all!

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-dcb

There are malcontents, passionate about their views on any subject in every circle whatever that circle may be. This is the basis of fanaticism.

As you may have seen, personally I may listen but do not hold value to opinions without base - e.g. baseless. If a person - including myself, is going to say something, they'd better be ready to back it up. Basing arguments this way is the other edge of the sword of free speech, and often overlooked.

In the U.S. we may have the right to say whatever we want, but we must take responsibility for what we say.

You should remember these persons who provide these baseless arguments, and just file them away as ones with limited value. Just be ready for it.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
little hint, because you don't seem to understand how discussion works. If you want to prove that other people are lying, you need to provide sources. How do we know that his uncle is a janitor? Do we take your word for it? If so, why? What if you're the liar? give a source so you don't look so petty and vindictive.

:rolleyes:
pnw

dcb

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2003
Little hint...it was a joke.

In the end, the uproar was whether or not Go-L was a legitimate company. That particualr post said that the specs were WAY off. Apparantly, since Go-L is a real company and since they have documented all of their findings, their specs are not way off as posted by whomever...and his attempt to justify his statement through his friends uncle who works in an advanced research department is laughable.

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by dcb
and his attempt to justify his statement through his friends uncle who works in an advanced research department is laughable.

Not any more laughable than most of what's on this site. It's called MacRumors for a reason, rumors play a big part in everything here. I personally still do not believe that this company is 100% legit, sorry. I bet if you ranted for a while, that would convince me. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Also, you sound much more convincing when you don't use "apparently" as every fourth word. It's just a word for "i don't want to take the time to research this myself, i just want to repeat what someone else said as my own".

Quite frankly, i don't care if the company is legit or not, it's tacky and redundant to post an entire new thread about this. Why not just append your little righteous indignation to the thread in question?

pnw

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
Well, I've been keeping quiet on this one....but I can bite my lip no more.....

The reason we *assume* he is a janitor is because he broke the golden rule of forum posting....too many degrees of seperation.

"my friends uncle" ????

C'mon, everyone has a friend with an uncle...he should have thrown in a neighbor....e.g.

"my friends uncle's neighbor" This source is much more credible...I mean everyone can trust their neighbor....how would that not have been believable.

Wait a second.....what am I doing...this is just mean....afterall, my friends uncle bypassed the time-space continuum....and this post is coming to all of you from the 4th dimension in the future.

;)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Originally posted by Independence
i don't mean to sound rude but it's rather simple to see the point of the thread.

Yes, but why are we discussing it, what will it solve, dcb is merely complaining that a few people are talking nonsense and i'm wondering why this isn't in the other thread thats all. Would of made sense to put it there.

dcb

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Not any more laughable than most of what's on this site. It's called MacRumors for a reason, rumors play a big part in everything here.

A rumor is one thing...a lie is something else.

I personally still do not believe that this company is 100% legit, sorry. I bet if you ranted for a while, that would convince me. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Like I have always said...I could care less whether or not go-l is legit.

Also, you sound much more convincing when you don't use "apparently" as every fourth word. It's just a word for "i don't want to take the time to research this myself, i just want to repeat what someone else said as my own".

APPARANLY, you are one of those who enjoy lying. I used apparently twice in two posts (with the exception of this one)

Quite frankly, i don't care if the company is legit or not, it's tacky and redundant to post an entire new thread about this. Why not just append your little righteous indignation to the thread in question?

pnw [/B]

Pretty simple...this is a different topic. I am just referring to that thread. Besides, once it was proven that the company existed, most people ran away because they knew they were caught in their less than truthful responses. It is a dead thread and there was no point in reviving it. If you have a problem with this thread, report it.

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by dcb
A rumor is one thing...a lie is something else.

unless you can prove that it was a lie, i suggest you stop slinging accusations. which, looking back, is how you started the thread. then you accuse me of being a liar. not a damn bit of proof offered on any count. clever, have you thought about joining the GOP?

what are you, 13? off the subject i know, just curious.

people lie on the internet. every ****ing day. it's a fact, has been for a decade, you're not going to change it, so why do you waste this site's bandwidth by bitching about it? i don't go to the weather.com to bitch about how cold it is... and bitch at them for being liars when they get the forecast wrong. or, when i disagree with them.

:rolleyes:
pnw

dcb

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by paulwhannel
unless you can prove that it was a lie, i suggest you stop slinging accusations. which, looking back, is how you started the thread. then you accuse me of being a liar. not a damn bit of proof offered on any count. clever, have you thought about joining the GOP?

Pretty simple...I counted the number of times I used the word "apparantly". you said:

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by dcb
Pretty simple...I counted the number of times I used the word "apparantly". you said:

it's called sarcasm. apparently one needs to use the world apparently to get away with sarcasm.

btw, apologies to all the 13-year-olds out there, for comparing you to this guy.

ah, to be so overzealous again...

i do agree, wasteland seems in order. but then, i'm no mod. just someone who apparently likes lying.

pnw

Xnet

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
what a waste of space....

btw the company is "real" they just dont really sell the stuff on their site....

Lets ALL move on now.....

<---per someone on another forum--->
call 1-310-555-1212 for directory assistance in the 310 area code. Ask to do a reverse lookup on 310-902-2276.

phone number found on

http://www.go-l.com/support/signin/index.htm

http://www.go-l.com/store/index.htm

NO listing. That is their tech support number.

Also, you can call:
1-800-555-1212 and ask for the listing for Liebermann Inc. There is no listing for Liebermann Inc.

their address is a suite owned by a company called Mail Call. After calling the company, phone number:

(310) 649-3919

They told me that someone named Liebermann did own box B-161, and that it was a P.O. Box service. They could give me no information on how to contact the owner.
</---per someone on another forum--->

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.