Remember when we had to remove our FAN discounts...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w00tme, Apr 18, 2009.

1. w00tme macrumors member

Hey guys!
    Remember when we had to remove our FAN discounts to buy an iPhone 3G from an Apple store? Does that still apply today, or did they fix whatever they had to fix in their system/procedures?

I'm asking because I'm looking to get a replacement for dust under my screen. I have gotten a replacement before (for dead pixels a month or so after launch), and I had to go through the process of removing my FAN (after already putting it back post-purchase of my original 3G), going to the Apple store for the replacement, and then putting it back on. I think it was due to the fact that getting a replacement was just like purchasing a phone all over again.

Thanks for your help!

2. phaggard macrumors regular

I had to remove my FAN way in the beginning when I got my first 2G Iphone. A few months ago I reinstated and have had no problems. I just took my 3G into a Genius Bar and got a replacement for a crack.

3. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I have a premier account and a FAN applied to it. However, when I bought the iPhone 3G online (before normal accounts could; only premier could), I didn't have to remove a FAN. What are you all talking about?

4. w00tme thread starter macrumors member

It was some activation fiasco that happened during the first weeks of the 3G launch. If you had a FAN account, your account was considered a corporate account or something. Due to that fact, you could not purchase a 3G at an Apple store; you would have to go to an AT&T store. Those that had a FAN on their account at the Apple store had to step aside after waiting in line all day to call AT&T to get it removed.

It wouldn't be a problem at all to just take it off and put it back on if need be, but, in my case, there is a hitch. You have to be the account holder in order to apply your FAN# discount. My account is actually under my mother's name, and I was able to get my own FAN# on it. I don't want to risk not being able to put it back on. :)

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

That whole FAN thing was a fiasco. I waited in line all day only to be turned away from an Apple store because of it, even though I had already called AT&T to have it removed (they messed up, shocker).