Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Whenever I open the programs-section of the finder, the windows is always slightly positioned off-screen (about 1/3rd is out of the screen to the right). When I drag the window to a new (so I can see all) position, it always jumps back whenever I close and reopen the finder. Any fix for this?

Also, is there a way to get the icons to auto-arrange themselves like I can setup in Windows?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Issue #1 looks to me like a Finder preferences problem. Try this:
  1. Open your home folder, then Library, then Preferences
  2. Locate the file "com.apple.Finder.plist" (without the "quotes") in this folder
  3. Move it elsewhere, then log out and back in for the change to take effect

Issue #2 is also easily fixed. In the menus for Finder, you should notice an item called View Options. Go in here, set things the way you want them, then click Use as Defaults to make these settings global. Note that you may need to have a Finder window open to do this.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
I seem to be having issues similar to this and whatnot and quite often it is suggested deleting the plist. I think this is going to be a common reaction for me in the future if things are acting up.

I also want to try and reposition my windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.