Remembering app positions for single/dual monitor setups?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pixeler, Feb 27, 2009.

1. pixeler macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum--I'm not sure if this is Mac OS or application specific.

I'm running Mac OS 10.5.6. When I plug in the external monitor to my MacBook Pro, I setup Firefox and Entourage on my notebook monitor and Photoshop on the external. I also move the Apple menu bar to the external (since PS is my main app I like having the menu bar close by). Photoshop doesn't present a problem because I'm able to switch the layout for different workspaces (laptop alone or laptop and external), but I find that Firefox and Entourage don't remember their positions.

For example, my current setup is dual monitors as mentioned above. When I get home and power up the notebook, I'll launch all the same apps. Firefox is just barely within view hanging off the left side of the screen so I'll grab the window and drag it over so I can access the green button (not sure what this is called). Entourage displays just fine. When I get back to work the next day and plug in the external, Firefox displays on the external with the window sized to fit the notebook monitor) and I'll just drag it over. Entourage loads into the external as maximized and I'll drag it over and click the green button.

Is it possible for the apps to remember their positions depending on whether it's just the notebook or if I've connected an external monitor? Thanks in advance!

2. nesl247 macrumors member

I'd be interested to know how to do this too.

3. pixeler thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I'm surprised by the lack of responses as I thought there'd be some notebook users who use dual monitors.

4. pixeler thread starter macrumors newbie

Note to mods: Would you mind moving this thread to the MacBook Pro forum? Maybe it will get more response from the mobile crowd. Thanks!

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My understanding of this, being a dual-monitor desktop user who occasionally unplugs the second monitor, is that the Mac OS automatically saves and restores window positions in the preference file for MOST applications. It's smart enough to auto-correct the stored position if it becomes invalid (for example, the window was on a monitor that is no longer attached). Unfortunately, it won't remember the position prior to the auto-correction for the next launch, if the monitor is later connected again - as seems to be what you are looking for. It's possible for applications to manage this themselves, but it's something most app developers don't bother doing unless they know that most of their user base uses multiple monitors (Photoshop is a prime example).

6. pixeler thread starter macrumors newbie

wrldwzrd89, thanks for the response. I was referred to an app called Forget-Me-Not that might've handled this, but apparently it's not being developed any longer. :(

At least you gave me the idea to unplug my monitor before I shut down which saves me the hassle of rearranging the windows when I boot up at home. Thanks.