Remembering Steve

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by petvas, Oct 4, 2014.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Tomorrow marks the third anniversary of Steves death. I don't know how you are feeling, but I am still sad that he is gone and wanted to take a minute here and post about him.
    Steve was a great innovator and a very special person. Somehow I always felt connected to him, despite the fact that I didn't know him personally.

This has nothing to do with Apple and how the company is doing, it is about Steve as a person.
    It's sad to see again how unfair life is. People like Steve should live forever..

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

With respect, nobody should 'live forever'. It is not a good idea to want to 'live forever', or to wish such a fate and future on anybody else.

Re the anniversary of the untimely death of late Mr Jobs, I hate to have to point out that his refusal to avail of modern medicinal treatments may well have hastened his demise.

Furthermore, with regard to the character of Mr Jobs as a person, (or human being, or paid up member of the human race), - since you mention remembering him as a person - I have to point out that, at times, he was a deeply dislikable individual. Indeed, as a person, I am not at all sure I would have wished to have known him, although I would not have turned down a chance to meet him if that had arisen.

To my mind, what should be remembered is the sheer brilliance of the man in the field of industrial design in the area of the provision of information technology, and the various stunning careers he managed to craft for himself (his first stint at Apple, then Pixar, his subsequent reincarnation in a second career with Apple) all of which were original, genuinely transformational, and utterly revolutionary.

Notwithstanding all of that, I have to say that I am deeply uncomfortable with the sort of uncritical devotion which appears to be attendant upon the creation of a cult; I dislike cults, and harbour profound reservations about the sort of individual one invariably finds at their centre, a charismatic - and often very gifted - creature for whom no act of reverence is too great.

I think it important to note that - in saluting the extraordinary accomplishments and sometimes astounding achievements of the man, we do not allow our admiration to blind us to a balanced appraisal of who he was and what he did, and above all, that we do not allow a cult of mindless adoration to develop around any discussion of the man, his influence, his products, and his times.

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

The fact that he was hard with people doesn't mean that he was a bad person. On the contrary. He managed to make people even better by pushing them to their limits.
    It's not about being devoted to someone or something, it is just paying respect for someone that changed the world, a little bit, with his work.
    It's not that hard to take a step back and think about him for a moment, especially on the anniversary of his death...
    His spirit will live forever, that's for sure.