Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Waited a long time for a snooze mail feature in the native apple mail app.

Using the public beta on my iPhone 13 I can use the remind later feature but the email stays in my inbox. This defeats the whole purpose of using snooze to achieve inbox zero.

In the various videos and guides I've seen for the feature online, they all say the email disappears from the inbox. It doesn't for me.

Is anyone else having this issue?

d3n

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
CHE
The email doesn‘t disappear, it stays in the Inbox, but it pops back up to the top when the Reminder kicks in. It also appears in the Smart Folder «Reminder» in the Mail.app sidebar. (iPadOS 16 PB 3)

funktight

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2018
BC
The email doesn‘t disappear, it stays in the Inbox, but it pops back up to the top when the Reminder kicks in. It also appears in the Smart Folder «Reminder» in the Mail.app sidebar. (iPadOS 16 PB 3)

Well, I guess on one side it's nice to see Apple not borrow the 'snooze' metaphor that many other apps have implemented in this type of email scenario (e.g. hide email and have it reappear at a later date) which would then kill off some users from other apps; but on the other side it's unfortunate that they couldn't implement a reminder mechanism that follows what looks to be an industry standard 'remind later/snooze' implementation.

Me, I just wanted to go back to using the Mail apps on my iOS and Mac OS platforms in a way that suits my work flows better, but I guess I will have to wait until the get it or just continue to use Spark on my various Apple OS devices 🤷‍♂️

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
I think it actually did disappear in the first beta but that behavior has changed.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
It defo did disappear in the first beta as you can see that behaviour in various demos. We have to hope that this is just a bug in this beta and it will be fixed in future.

It certainly wouldn't make sense to not do that. Managing mail to inbox zero is the only way to live and be happy.

d3n

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
CHE
(…)

Me, I just wanted to go back to using the Mail apps on my iOS and Mac OS platforms in a way that suits my work flows better, but I guess I will have to wait until the get it or just continue to use Spark on my various Apple OS devices 🤷‍♂️
I also use Spark everywhere. It’s great to get push notifications for my non-iCloud accounts as well. On top of Snooze and Send Later, they have some other useful features (like better support for formatted signatures).

Last edited:

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Report it back to Apple as a bug.
That's what access to these betas is for.
Some people (not saying you) think it's to give them early-doors access to a glitch-free Release Candidate ahead of the October release.
But it's not. It's so you can report bugs.
EDIT: That said, it might not be a bug...

Last edited:

funktight

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2018
BC
Report it back to Apple as a bug.
That's what access to these betas is for.
Some people (not saying you) think it's to give them early-doors access to a glitch-free Release Candidate ahead of the October release.
But it's not. It's so you can report bugs.
EDIT: That said, it might not be a bug...

This has already been done. Just posted here as I thought I’d missed a setting someplace.

Reactions: MajorFubar

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
I do believe this is a bug, in Dev Beta 1 and 2 the emails were removed from the inbox and then popped back in at the reminder time. Only in Dev Beta 3 did it stop working like that.

funktight

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2018
BC
Just dl'd the latest iteration of iOS beta 16 and Mac OS Ventura, Remind Later still not working as it's supposed to 🤦‍♂️ or according to the info provided at launch. Email just sits there in the inbox after a 'Remind Later' action has been chosen...

Below is how it's supposed to work. But no luck to date :confused:

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 12.59.14 PM.jpg

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Working here, just not removing the email from the inbox when Remind Me is set. Looking in the "<Mailboxes" I see a Remind Me folder (temporarily) and the email is in there. Email reappears at the top of the inbox at the set day/time.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Just dl'd the latest iteration of iOS beta 16 and Mac OS Ventura, Remind Later still not working as it's supposed to 🤦‍♂️ or according to the info provided at launch. Email just sits there in the inbox after a 'Remind Later' action has been chosen...

Below is how it's supposed to work. But no luck to date :confused:

View attachment 2035748
I’m not understanding, in the screenshot it says “When the reminder time rolls around, the Mail app will move the email to the top of your inbox” I don’t see anything about removing it from the Inbox. Unless it remains at the top of the inbox regardless of other incoming messages it seems as if it is behaving as intended, at least as explained above.

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
I’m not understanding, in the screenshot it says “When the reminder time rolls around, the Mail app will move the email to the top of your inbox” I don’t see anything about removing it from the Inbox. Unless it remains at the top of the inbox regardless of other incoming messages it seems as if it is behaving as intended, at least as explained above.
So when you set an email to “Remind Me” a new folder appears in the “Mailboxes” page named “Remind Me”, where you can find the emails residing that you set to “Remind Me”. So I think the intended behavior is they should move there and return to the top of the Inbox at the appropriate time. Once there are no more email’s set to Remind Me, the temporary folder they were in disappears from the Mailbox page.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
So when you set an email to “Remind Me” a new folder appears in the “Mailboxes” page named “Remind Me”, where you can find the emails residing that you set to “Remind Me”. So I think the intended behavior is they should move there and return to the top of the Inbox at the appropriate time. Once there are no more email’s set to Remind Me, the temporary folder they were in disappears from the Mailbox page.
That’s not the way I understand it, but of course I can be seeing it incorrectly. The Remind Me folder is created so that you wouldn’t have to go scrolling through multiple messages to find the relevant one, you just go to that folder and it’s there so that you know the feature is active. But the message is not removed from the Inbox, it’s just allowed to be pushed down the list as others are received. And then gets popped back to the top at the appropriate time. That’s how I would expect it to work.

We’ll all know this fall how it will actually work.

Reactions: Cinimod1000

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
We're now on final release and it's still not working.

There is no way it's meant to be like this. What's the point if it is?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015

There is no way it's meant to be like this. What's the point if it is?
Whats not working? I just set one email in my list as a “Remind Me” in about 10 minutes. The email did not move from its position in my Inbox but a Remind Me folder was created and I’m assuming it will pop up to the top of the list at the set time as indicated in those instructions in the screenshot above which is what I followed. I also created a new email and set it to be sent later. The times that were set for both have not occurred yet but in about 15 minutes I’ll post back with the results.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Both functions, Remind Me and Send Later worked perfectly. The Remind Me one popped up to the top of my message list as indicated in those instructions above. It had been buried way down in my list where, if it had been important, I may have forgotten about it. Which seems to be the intended function. If you can’t interact With an email currently you set it to pop back up later to where you’ll see it again even if other messages have come in since pushing its original position further down. Anyway functioning perfectly as it was described. If that’s not what you want then you’ll need to look at some other alternative.

Send Later also functioned perfectly, the email was sent at the set time.

i did find that on the ipad I had to customize the toolbar to add a Remind Me clock icon to get this function. Tapping on the Reply arrow just gets you a reply window not a list of options as it does on the phone.

Last edited:

funktight

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2018
BC

There is no way it's meant to be like this. What's the point if it is?ry
I'd concur, the posts below yours 'justify' Apple's choices and decisions as it relates to this feature and its implementation. Most users, having experienced this 'feature' type on other applications would say that Apple's implementation is lacking and isn't following what one's expectations would be (like every other email app provider's implementation). I wanted to come back to just using Apple's mail apps (on my various platforms), but with this feature being somewhat limited in managing one's email overload I won't be coming back anytime soon.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I wanted to come back to just using Apple's mail apps (on my various platforms), but with this feature being somewhat limited in managing one's email overload I won't be coming back anytime soon.
I have to agree that if you have been using other platforms that gave you features that work the way you want then you should stick with them. But having only ever used Apple/iCloud mail I’ve never had these features so they’re an added benefit to what I’ve been satisfied with previously. I’m just glad that they work and work just as they had been projected to function.

Choices abound. Just use what works for you.

funktight

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2018
BC
I’m just glad that they work and work just as they had been projected to function.
The 'interesting' thing about these features, the 'Remind Me' worked exactly as others have described it, when it rolled out months ago, it effectively 'snoozed' the email disappearing it from your inbox and then 'magically' reappearing at the selected future time and date.

So the expectation of myself and others in this thread were based on Apple's own implementation (which was very similar to others).

But, as you've said, choice is good! I am happy that it works for you ;)

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’m aware of the way it did work, removing the email from your inbox which is what I would not want. I’m assuming that was a bug or they rethought the feature. As it gets pushed down in the message list by later incoming messages, it essentially disappears. I’ve seen screenshots of various posters’ Mail app and with hundreds or thousands of emails one specific one essentially is invisible so I don’t see an issue. But if one really doesn’t want it to remain anywhere in that mess they could just delete it after enabling Remind Me. It probably will still work although I wouldn’t try that. But if there is an app or platform that automatically removes it from the list then that could be used. I’m thinking there are at least a few others like me that wouldn’t notice and don’t care.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
I’m not sure how you folks live without inbox zero as your method of managing email. I hope one day you discover the joys.

Adios!

funktight

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2018
BC
I’m not sure how you folks live without inbox zero as your method of managing email. I hope one day you discover the joys.

Adios!

So true, I see people with 100's of emails sitting in their inbox and it would drive me nuts 🤪 Inbox Zero is soo much better 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.