Reminder Alert with a Sound Kinda APP on Boot Up ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by augustya, Jan 20, 2014.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

is there an APP for Macbook which on Restart gives a Pop-Up with an Alarm or a Sound as a reminder to get it done as soon as my Mac is Booted up or put on.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

To get what done? Do you mean something that is due in the Reminders App?

It looks like the Reminders app has good Applescript support. You might be able to put together an Applescript to look for due reminders and have that display on the screen. Then put that Applescript as a login startup item.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Can you please explain this ? Didn't understand to be very frank :)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Tell me more about what you are trying to get done?

I assumed you have tasks in the OS X Reminders program and you want to be notified at login when one is overdue. By default, I believe Mavericks Notifications feature will do what you want.

If you want something different, you may be able to Applescript to make a custom solution for what you are trying to do. Read over the link on Applescript a bit to see what I mean.

Essentially Applescript is a tool included with OS X that allows you to make your own little mini programs that interact with your Mac.

5. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Whoa !! Whoa !! Dude I am not a Developer !!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hah... :D Neither am I.

Try this. Launch Applescript editor from /Applications/Utilities and paste in the text below then click the run button in the Applescript Editor toolbar. There! Now you are a developer! :)

Code:
    say "hello august"
    Serious. Tell me more exactly what you are trying to accomplish and I will try and help you out if I can.

7. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

No It is simple. I am not asking for any complexed APP or requirement all I want is if My Computer is used by someone else also and say for e.g the other person access my machine after a restart and If I wanna make him read a .txt file. I want a reminder or a Pop Up that comes up with a sound and a Message to read me ! Thats it !!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... how about a system alert sound then a popup like this? Is that what you are after? Tell me what you want the text to say and I will make the dialogue box for you in Applescript and upload it for you.

You just click either button and the box dismisses.

[​IMG]

Or if you like, I can explain how to do it yourself in Applescript. Basically we are going to use Applescript to make a small program that makes a sound then pops up this box.

9. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Thanks for your effort man ! But I have some questions before we go ahead with this...

1. Why do we need to go this way ? Isn't there like an APP which can do this task ?

2. How safe is it ? What are the chances of this corrupting my OS or causing a hardware issue ?

3. I don't want this pop up and buzzer going off everytime my machine restarts or reboots it should be user controlled like you set reminders in calendars...So only when I feel like leaving a note for the other person who next uses my Mac as if I am leaving a note for him to follow up on it.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. I have never seen an app that will do this. The only way I know to do this with a custom message is the way I suggested.

2. Perfectly safe. All I am doing is using the two lines below in Applescript to do what you want. When we get it how you like, I will save it as an application. When the application is launched it will sound your default system warning tone, then display the dialogue box.

You can test it now yourself. Start the Applescript Editor from /Applications/Utilities and paste in the text below. Then click the green "Run" button and you will hear the sound and get the popup. You can go ahead and make the application yourself if you want. Just get it how you want, then command-s to save and select the option to save as an application. Or I can do it for you if you like.

Code:
    beep
    display dialog "You are now using Augstya's computer"
    3. My thought was to make this application a login item, so it would run each time the machine boots. You could just add or remove the login item from System Preferences / Users & Groups / login items when you want to use it.

Another option would be to make a Calendar entry for the date/time you want then have the calendar alert setup like below to open a file with the calendar alarm. That file could be our little custom popup app, or you could just make a text file with Textedit and have that launch as the event alert.

[​IMG]

11. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I would like to go the second way but with the second way can we have it done at system start up ? we cannot right ? Because if you have a calendar set up it would go off only on a specific date and time...And even if we have a date and time not necessarily my Mac will be used with the another user at the set reminder time in other words the other user will not start the machine according to the time and date set in this reminder my mac right ?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are on Mountain Lion or Mavericks there is a built in Notifications service that will pop up when one of these Calendar alarms goes off. I believe if you are logged out when the time goes by, the Notification will popup the next time you login. If you message is not too long, you could just make it the even title then the entire message would be in the Notification popup.

13. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Ok...so are you now suggesting that we don't need to go by the applescript way, my objective can also be achieved with the inbuilt notification thing! is that what you are saying ?

I am on Mavericks !!

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It depends on the end result you want. If your message is not very long, yes it can be handled by a Notification.

15. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yep my message is not gonna be too long ! So how can I do it with, was it with Calendar ? that you were suggesting me to do this ? Can you post pics of steps on how to do it with the inbuilt notification of Mavericks !!

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... this should work then.

First go to System Preferences and in the Notifications panel make sure you have notifications turned on for Calendar just like in my screenshot.

[​IMG]

Then open Calendar and double click on the day you want the alert and fill in the time how you want it and set the alert at the time of the event just like in my screenshot.

[​IMG]

I did a test event for 1054AM and got this popup.

[​IMG]

Is this what you were after?

17. augustya, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yes absolutely like this yep very much, but tell me if I like set a time for say today 10 PM and my MAC is switched on after that time... It will still pop up that message right ? And the Last message that you have made can that be custom created or it is a inbuilt feature with calendar like for e.g instead of close and snooze what if I just want 'OK' to be appearing there....

I tried doing this, but the reminder here hardly stays 2-3 seconds. I would like it to stay at least for a Minute and then disappear ! Can we do that ?

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... any overdue alerts will display when you login. I cannot be customized. To customize we would be getting back to my Applescript solution.

Go back to System Preferences in the Notification settings pane and make sure you have it set to "Alert" and not "Banner". It sounds like you have it set to Banner. An Alert will stay there forever until you click close or snooze.

19. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yes I have set it to "Alert" and even that hardly stays more then 2-3 seconds !!

And the pop up appears in the notification area in the top right corner in the notification area can it not appear in the centre of the screen...

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... are you sure you have selected Calendar on the left and not some other App notification setting. I just tested it again and the alert just sits there. It even explains the behavior in the pane itself saying alerts stay until dismissed.

[​IMG]

21. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yeah I am selecting the Calendar App, I will try and send you some screenshots but is there anything besides this, that you would like me to check ?

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Double click the calendar entry to edit and take a screenshot of that. I can't think of what you might be missing. :confused:

23. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

But even if this works the pop up message appears in the top right notification area it doesn't appear in the centre of the screen right ?

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct.

25. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Here you go...

Attached Files: