reminder mails

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by malarana, May 19, 2009.

1. malarana macrumors newbie

Dear All,
    I want to set a reminder to e.mails. Eg in microsoft outlook I can just drag an email to the calender and it opens on the set date automatically? is this possible and if yes how?
    Tks

2. shwc macrumors regular

If I understand you correctly you either: A) wish to set an event in your calendar program have an email reminder sent to you when the time comes, or B) you have received an email telling you of a meeting you need to attend. You wish to send the meeting information to your calendar program to create a calendar event complete with a linked to the originating email.

Do you use iCal for as your calendar program?
    For case A: generate the event (set day and time of event) and then go to the "alarm" section and choose "email."
    For case B: hover your mouse cursor over any of the scheduling details in the text of the email. A pull down menu triangle will appear for you to click on. Choose "create new ical event," whereupon a new ical event will be generated pulling scheduling information from the email to generate the event. A link to the email will be set. Once the event has been generated you can set the "alarm" to send you an email reminder.

3. malarana thread starter macrumors newbie

reminder mail

thanks for answering... yes I know abt ical but my problem is I want the entire text of the e.mail to be seen when I get the reminder... when I used to use the PC I wld simply drag the e.mail to the calender and set the date and it wld pop up on the relevant date so I cld actually see the entire text again.

I hope it is possible............

4. shwc macrumors regular

If you generated the event through Mail (Case B in my first post) a link to the email is made. Open the event and a link to the mail will be available.

If you generated the event in ical (Case A in my first post), then drag the email you wish to link to onto the event while in edit (or generation) mode.

5. malarana thread starter macrumors newbie

reminder e.mail

Ok I understand will try it immdlty........ one more thing though :) what if the mail is not about a meeting but a general mail and I need to action it after a few days then do I follow the same principle as B

6. shwc macrumors regular

In that case I think you have to generate the event in I cal and drag the email to the event to create the link.

******I just tried dragging. You need to drag the email to the "url" field.*******

7. malarana thread starter macrumors newbie

reminder mails

Hi- I tried it but for option 1 i.e setting alarms I chose email but it says" you must add yr card to address book"
    My card is already there yet it does not move on
    For option 2: dragging to url : doesn't work , it drags but nothing happens: can us end me snapshot?

8. nadyne macrumors 6502a

If you use Microsoft Entourage (which is part of Office:Mac), you have a few options to do what you want:

1. Flag your messages. You can either just click the little grey flag icon in your list of mail messages, or you can select the message, click on the "To-do" toolbar icon, and select when you want to set its due date. Your message will now have a little red flag icon next to it in your list of mail messages. Additionally, when you go into Entourage's to-do list (either on the right side of your calendar or in the task list), it will be listed there too. When I flag messages, I tend to set both a due date and a reminder.

2. Add the message to your calendar. Select the message, then go to the Script menu (it's the one to the right of the Help menu), and select "Create event from message". When you do this, the body of the email will be copied to the body of a new event. Then you can set the specifics of the event. When I opt for this method, I'm doing it to specifically schedule that time to work on something. I just did it for an email from my manager asking me to help her with a presentation, for example.

3. Add the message to your task list. This is roughly equivalent to the first option. Select the message, go to the Script menu, and select "Create task from message". Just as in the second option, the body of the email will be copied to the body of the new task, and you can set start dates, due dates, and reminders however you might like.

9. shwc macrumors regular

As to the address book card, you need to designate a card as yours. See the last post in this thread.

As to dragging the email to the URL field, drag the email to the word "none" in the URL field. A hard to see cursor will appear in the word "none," whereupon you can drop the email.

10. malarana thread starter macrumors newbie

reminder mails :done!! now for importing fm PC to MAC

thanks a lot! I was able to do both entourage and mail ........... I used to use a PC and thus all my mails are on the desktop of tht PC: how do I copy it to Entourage now?