Reminder Notifications - Do they exist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KCWolfPck, Jun 25, 2008.

1. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

I often have my iPhone in standby mode (screen off) sitting on my charging dock while at work. Occasionally, when I've stepped away from my office, I'll have received a call or an e-mail. Since my screen is off and I've missed the notification....I'll have no idea that I missed anything unless I turn on the iPhone.

Is there a setting (I've been unable to find one) that enable some kind of reminder notification of these events. For example, once a voice mail is received, the phone would beep every minute or so until retrieved? It seems that most other phones I've had in the past had this feature....just wondering why it is so hard to locate this setting on the iPhone.

Thanks.

KCWolfPck
    My Colorware iPhone

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Apple's Push Notification Service currently in 'beta' but set to be available in September, should bring with it this functionality.

It was officially announced at thier WWDC conference back on June 9th.

Apple keeps a persistent IP connection to your device, and 3rd parties, or Apple, will be able to push badges
    (like the red one on the mail icon currently), custom sounds, or textual alerts.

R-Fly

3. KCWolfPck thread starter macrumors regular

To be clear, I am not talking about notifications from 3rd parties or Apple, I am talking about notifications for things already received on my iPhone in one of the iPhones native programs (voice mail, e-mail, sms, calendar event, etc....)

4. robhedin macrumors regular

Push notification is not what he was asking about-- in fact push notifications would suffer from the same problem-- if the user wasn't present when the notification arrived, and the device went back to sleep no information will be presented to the user until the user "wakes up" the device and manually checks.

With push notification, when the phone is woken up he will see "one missed call" "2 texts" etc, plus he may also see something from the notification service.

The notification service does guarantee delivery, but once it's delivered it's expected that the phone took action on it and displayed it, there is no two-way communications through the push notification service (although your application is always able to communicate to your own servers when it's running). In fact, they made it very explicit during the session on the push notification service what it would and wouldn't do-- and recommended not relying on it at all.

To do what is being asked, the phone's firmware would have to be modified such that it reminds the user with some regularity until dismissed.

rob.

5. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

This is one of my biggest gripes with the iPhone. I always miss or sleep through SMS messages. IntelliScreen worked great for the notifications, but my beta trial is done and I won't buy it with 2.0 coming out soon and not knowing if the 2.0 will be hacked to allow me to put it back on. Because of Apple's stupid policy on background apps IntelliScreen will not be available through the store. I think they should have a different approval process for background apps or put up a big warning of the problems that could occur from them (battery drain).

6. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

If you've ever used a WinMO phone, you'd appreciate their 'stupid policy'. :rolleyes:

7. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Maybe stupid was too harsh, I know what they are trying to accomplish, I just really want reminder notifications and for some reason they have not put something simple as that in the iPhone firmware.

I did mention a special approval process for background apps where Apple would decide. Maybe a better option would be to have a call back function you can register with a timer that would call your program every so often.

8. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Don't count on Apple releasing any device with some flashing beacon on the top of it... Its just not their style.

The OP wants a little light or something that will flash when there is a missed call, text, email and the phone is in standby or the screen is off. Nope, this is too Blackberryish for Apple.

9. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Every other phone I've had has a reminder beep and the option to change the amount of time between the reminder beeps (once, every 2 minutes, every 15 minutes, off). I wouldn't want a light, but the reminder beep is nice.

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Kate

Actually, Kate or Caterpillar will do this. Look into it... You need to have a Jailbroken iPhone, but this will support the missed calls, texts... not sure about emails.

11. Jowl macrumors 6502

My Current SE K800 (and previous K750, K700, T610) phones have had a sms icon or 'arrow on the blanked screen' to indicate a missed call/new text.

Apple seems to be missing even basic phone features. It's less of an iPhone and more of an iInternet-and-email-on-the-go device.

12. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

please please

I really hope they have some notification app in the store... I'll be the first to buy it I was really upset when I found the iPhone has no notification reminders. I dont know how many times ive been walking in the mall shopping with the phone on my hip to look and see I got a email 3 hours ago. They need to have something to beep every 2 or 1 minutes to let you know what u missed even a call. I have had reminders since my first cell back in 1995 with. My motorola flip. Not to mention my old school beeper would even remind me

I had my phone hacked and the only thing I had was reminders installed plus it was nice that in the upper notification bar on the iPhone where the battery sign is it had a email thing there so I will just hack it again or buy the intelli thing if nothing is offerd well once 2.0 firm is hacked

Its very very frustrating to have to wake the phone up, slide it, just to see if a email has come.....and you cant even change the sound of the email notification .......its way to soft to hear......unless your in a dead quiet room

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Someone here a long while ago, came up with a good idea: Apple should have the home button blink.

Turns out the HTC Diamond had the same idea. Its circular D-pad lights up around its ring for notifications.

14. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Not only would i like the phone to let me know i have missed a call, text, etc.... i'd REALLY love to create a note and have it remind me maybe every 30 minutes either on the homescreen or the same way a text views when it first arrives. I have a bad memory and need to make notes of something i have to do for the day. Problem is, i forget to check my notes. I need the notes to remind me. Even if it's just limited to like 4 words or less. I keep looking for an app that does this.