"Reminder" Software for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Sep 7, 2007.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

New guy here. Just switching to 24" iMac from Dell PC.

On the PC I have been using a small program called "Reminder,"
    a simple, but useful, program that lists dates to be remembered.

When the computer boots the Reminder launches a window that lists imminent dates to be remembered such as birthdays, doctor appointments, etc. The reminder for a given event can be set to appear on screen "x" days before the event is due.

Question: I have come to really rely on this helper in the PC. Is there a similar program for the Mac?

Thanks for reading . . . . . hoping someone can suggest something.

Regards

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is what a lot of us would use iCal for... it does pop-ups and all sorts of stuff; it can also send email alerts too, which I find very handy. And it syncs with my phone. And it comes free with your Mac. :)

3. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks for the comment, Blue Velvet.

I'm sure that my question reveals what a Mac novice I am. I have lived with Dell PCs for about 15 years, and this is all new to me.

This new 24" iMac has so many features and utilities . . . . . I am still trying to get a foothold. :eek:

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

To avoid feeling that you're missing those footholds, do yourself a big favour and buy:

Mac OS X, Tiger Edition: The Missing Manual by David Pogue

Invaluable for all switchers and newcomers to the Mac platform and only $20 at Amazon. A complete bargain... Oh, and welcome to MR. There's always a helping hand here. :)

5. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Is there any way to have iCal launch automatically when the Mac boots?

I seem to remember on the older Macs there was a folder for "Inits" . . . programs or utilities that would launch after the machine booged.

Thanks,
    L

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

You can add it in System Preferences > Accounts > your account > Login Items, but there is no need to have iCal running for its alerts/reminders to pop up on your screen.

7. kristi macrumors newbie

handy cams and mac?

I am trying to load my video into my new Mac (iLife 08) and it says that my handy cam is not compatable! Its brand new too! If anyone knows that maybe a fire wire would work vs a usb port (which I have tried) please let me know. I have a Sony DCR-HC48 with mini tapes and for some reason it will not work.
    Thanks for any info!
    Kristi

8. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Kristi,

You loaded this question under an OLD thread of mine about an entirely different subject. Sorry I can't help with your problem, but it would be a good idea to post the question independently as a new thread in order to get the attention of someone that might have knowledge of your issue.
    L

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes, you need to make a new thread about this issue. and use firewire if you can