Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
I’m at my wits end - ever since swapping my phone for a warranty replacement (iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16.5.1), setting up the phone as new (not using a backup), my Reminders app does not show badges when a reminder is overdue (ex: Due at 11am, reminder goes off but no badge icon displayed).

iPadOS does appear to have a config option in Notification Settings but iOS doesn’t appear to. Within the app settings, I have everything configured per usual (see included screenshot).

I’ve restarted, disabled & re-enables iCloud Reminders, and even deleted the app and re-downloaded it. Nothing.

Has anyone else been experiencing this and have a recommendation?

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 373

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Nuclear option, erase the phone and re-setup as new to get a clean slate? Something seems to been corrupted at some point (eg. Plist got messed up) and starting from square one might be only option since reinstalling has not done anything.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Nuclear option, erase the phone and re-setup as new to get a clean slate? Something seems to been corrupted at some point (eg. Plist got messed up) and starting from square one might be only option since reinstalling has not done anything.
Yeah I was hoping not to go that route again, since I literally just set it up as new from scratch.

Interestingly, my wife’s iPhone also is missing the Reminders app in the Notifications settings screen.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Quick update: I had already confirmed my wife’s phone doesn’t have the notification settings for reminders. Neither does my test phone, but that’s on iOS 17 b2, so I ruled that out as a comparison.

However, a test reminder for a specific time on my wife’s phone revealed that she is also not getting the badges.

So I have three phones across two Apple IDS, and not one of them has a Reminders setting in Notifications. This seems odd to me…

Last edited:

JWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Well, I’ve got nothing. I blew away my phone tonight, twice in fact as after the first time it was behaving oddly, so I did a DFU restore.

No change. Get notifications on all my other devices (2 iPads, 2 MBPs), but not my iPhone.

I really don’t want to call Apple. They’ve been worthless every time I do. Such a waste of time. But I use reminders extensively and this is very annoying.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Weird.

Phones under mobile device management for a company, school, etc? Or using their apps? Can't imagine why some organization would want to block changing Notifications settings changes, but possible.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Weird.

Phones under mobile device management for a company, school, etc? Or using their apps? Can't imagine why some organization would want to block changing Notifications settings changes, but possible.

Generally yes they have a profile installed, but in wiping it over the weekend multiple times, I never put the profile back on. So ruled that out.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Try making a new reminder with a notification. The app will ask you to enable notifications...
This happened to me as well and I resolved it this way...
:)

WOW. I have been making test reminders on top of real reminders this whole time and nada - not prompts, no settings changes, nothing. Took your advice and made one that was location based and boom, right away asked me if it can send me notifications.

Wtf! This is broken! But I’m glad it’s working now after 3 phone wipes… 🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

theoapo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2015
Athens, Greece
WOW. I have been making test reminders in top of real reminders this whole time and nada - not prompts, no settings changes, nothing. Took your advice and made one that was location based and boom, right away asked me if it can send me notifications.

Wtf! This is broken! But I’m glad it’s working now after 3 phone wipes… 🤦🏼‍♂️
It just works... not!
:D
Glad I could help!

pianophile

Contributor
Sep 2, 2002
Midwest
Try making a new reminder with a notification. The app will ask you to enable notifications...
This happened to me as well and I resolved it this way...
:)
Thank you. I was in the same boat as JWreck, and your tip resolved this for me as well.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
FFS how is this bug still here?!

Came here searching for a solution and yes, create a new reminder and it will start working.

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
Ark up!

I've had this issue since picking up the 15+. I have tried every suggestion other then the nuclear option, but to no avail. Anyway, I'm not saying this is 'thee' fix, but, it fixed it for me, permanently!

I went into settings/reminders/accounts/fetch new data, and change iCloud account to 'push'. Not fetch. Voila! the badge count on the 'due today' tab in reminders instantly showed the badge count. A lovely sight to see. This was a few days ago Reminders is now working as it always used to - flawlessly.

Hope this helps someone.

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
Well, that was short lived! I'm back to the reminders due today tab not showing any badges. But..................there is hope! By messing about, I think I have finally found out what the problem is, well not what the problem is, but how to get around it.

iCloud. iCLoud sems to be the problem. I haven't posted in a few weeks while I try out this work around, to make sure it works - and it does. Turn off reminders in iCloud (settings/tap your name/ icloud/reminders toggle off). I have tried setting a reminder every day (just to test my theory)with reminders in icloud toggled off, and it has worked every time. Every day I have had a lovely big reminders badge on the due today tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.