Reminders App

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Blakeasd, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I am new to iOS (formerly an Android user). When I create a reminder in the reminders app and I set it to remind me on a certain day, does the app have to stay open? In other words, can I double press the home button and close it or does it have to stay open to notify me to do something?

Thanks!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can close the app if you want to, it'll know what to do.

Also, even the apps that are listed when you double-press the home button aren't all really running, most of them are actually idle/"closed" in any case. It's more of a list of recently used apps than a list of running apps (although some of them, in particular some of the most recent ones and/or a few other ones, could actually still be running).

3. lucastatic, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

lucastatic macrumors regular

[edit]
    Welcome to iOS! Figured I'd edit my post to provide a few more details.

"Multitasking" here is different than you'll find on Android. It all adds up to longer battery life, and better performance.

In iOS when you open an app it becomes the 'foreground' app. There is only one foreground app allowed at a time. When you press the home button to close out of the app it doesn't actually exit, it simply enters a suspended state.

Suspension means the app's state is saved, but it is not running... suspension basically makes an app quicker to start up the next time you open it (in addition to being exactly where you left it).

Suspension does have a few "special case" scenarios that allow certain apps to keep running in the background. These apps fall under several categories: either it has VOIP capabilities (Skype), location services (Google Maps), or plays music (Pandora). Some apps can even request additional time from the OS to finish up a process or two before completely suspending. Keep in mind these apps only run in the background if their background-capable features are actually active.

Only a set amount of apps can actually be suspended at any given time as a suspended app takes exists in RAM. When the system needs more RAM the oldest suspended app will be terminated and given a chance to write its state to the drive so no data is lost, but RAM is gained. This ensures fluid performance.

Suspended apps do not negatively affect battery life (outside of maybe 1-5% for a total day), nor do they negatively affect performance (though you may notice a slight increase in fluidity after closing all apps in the switcher due to freeing up of the RAM). Backgrounded apps (ie Pandora, Skype, Google Maps) will of course drain the battery more.

One last thing: double-pressing the home button opens the switcher (or task manager). This is nothing more than a list of recently opened apps. At any given time depending on what device you have (ie how much RAM it has) the first ~4-10 apps will actually be suspended.

Cheers :)