Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

When setting a location-based reminder, it only seems to let me choose from locations that are in my address book.

What if, say, I want it to remind me to buy lightbulbs when I get to Victoria station? Can I do that?

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

When setting a location-based reminder, it only seems to let me choose from locations that are in my address book.

What if, say, I want it to remind me to buy lightbulbs when I get to Victoria station? Can I do that?

It's strange that they don't have a map interface for location-based reminders, but in a roundabout way you can achieve what you want.

1. Open Maps, find the location you need, add it to contacts (drop a pin and tap it)

2. Create a reminder, set location to the contact you created

dazzycx

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
This is really strange way of doing it,
E.g. I dont want 'Tesco' in my contacts but if i want a reminder for when arrive at the shop its the only way for me to do it...

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Wow, I'm very surprised that this is the case. Had assumed I must be missing something as this really limits the usefulness of one of the most hyped new features. As someone already said, I don't really want things like "the park", "train station" and "deptford high street" in my contacts.

padre1fan

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Don't they test these things?

How long did they actually test this feature? I saw it's deficiency in a matter of seconds. Integrate pin dropping with maps!! Duh! I'm not going to add every place I want to be reminded at to my contact list. C'mon apple, you're better than this!

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Wow, I'm very surprised that this is the case. Had assumed I must be missing something as this really limits the usefulness of one of the most hyped new features. As someone already said, I don't really want things like "the park", "train station" and "deptford high street" in my contacts.

The only workaround with your method would be to create just a single contact called "reminders" or something and list all of the addresses in there.

Still think apple goofed on this though. I've noticed this since early betas assuming it would be fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.