Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I've noticed some very significant battery drainage lately. I'd start the day off at 100% and two hours or three hours later at work, with only a few game plays and a Facebook check or two, I'd be at 71-74%!!!

I noticed that my purple "Active" location services symbol was on often.
I went through Notifications and discovered that Reminders is actively using GPS on a very regular basis. I think this is because I set a Reminder based on "When I return to XXX Location." so it was seeking GPS often.

Anyone else notice this?

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Of course. Or just not set Reminders using When I arrive At or When I leave From options, instead using date/time Reminders.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I never really thought about it but yes a couple of days back i noticed the battery drop when using reminders so you could turn it of in settings if battery life is more precious then reminders...

tommot82

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
I can honestly say i have not noticed this... but now you have given me one more thing to fixate on in terms of battery drain!!!! :)

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
Other big ones are foursquare, Facebook, and GPS apps, since they all run the GPS chip. Why it doesn't use the accelerometer to cue into when you are leaving (accelerating to 25+mph) and arriving is beyond me!

Well,

not everyone drives a car :p

Can't wait for a solution to this in hardware. Low power GPS will change the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.