Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Hello folks,

I'd like to gauge everyone else's experience....since updating to 9.3 I've been completing reminders on my iPhone and they seem to re-appear randomly and re-alert me. I've verified that they aren't set to reoccur within the reminder app itself.

I noticed it this morning and I had updated my Apple Watch last night and when I woke up this morning, my iPhone was displaying about 15 reminders from as far back as a month or two ago.

Perhaps Apple Watch bug? 9.3 bug on iPhone? Anyone else experiencing similar behavior?

iop

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Sounds like a syncing issue. I have never experienced what you describe; however, i have trouble getting the snooze function to work reliably across multiple devices. If i postpone a reminder a few times on my laptop, and then put it to sleep, I will no longer get a alerts on the laptop. Yet, completing another reminder on my phone sometimes restores syncing, and i suddenly get multiple alerts about forgotten reminders.

I hope Apple will rework the code responsible for reminder syncing, because right now it's full of glithes.

Jason Cox

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
Dallas, TX
I'm experiencing the same issue. I've turned Reminders syncing off/on across my iPhone, iPad and Mac incase something got fouled up during the recent updates and to no avail.

I've also noticed that when I mark a Reminder as completed, the change seems to sync across all of my devices only to be undone later. So perhaps iCloud itself is having issues?

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
Not 100% the same thing, but perhaps related... If I have a reminder that has a location or a time attached to it, its status will not update across my devices. So if I delay or mark it completed on one device, that status does not propagate across all my devices.

Reminders that are "dumb" -- that is, without alarms attached -- DO have their status synced properly. If I check one off, it checks off everywhere.

Tried turning iCloud reminders sync off on on my phone, then back on. Did nothing. I'm thinking, yeah, iCloud itself is borked.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
I'm still having this problem. I want to get Apple on it, because I feel that it's a really annoying problem, but going to the Genius Bar is definitely not going to help and I'm not sure contacting support online is the best way either.

Suggestions? I'm about ready to throw my phone out a window because of this stupid crap.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
Hello folks,

I'd like to gauge everyone else's experience....since updating to 9.3 I've been completing reminders on my iPhone and they seem to re-appear randomly and re-alert me. I've verified that they aren't set to reoccur within the reminder app itself.

I noticed it this morning and I had updated my Apple Watch last night and when I woke up this morning, my iPhone was displaying about 15 reminders from as far back as a month or two ago.

Perhaps Apple Watch bug? 9.3 bug on iPhone? Anyone else experiencing similar behavior?

Same issue here. Although Reminders has had some janky issues for awhile, and I use them a lot, daily, for work and personal. It is very upsetting, as I rely on them constantly.

BTW, my Watch iPhone and iPad have been randomly freezing and re-springing since the latest round of updates. WWDC server side updates coming???

JWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Talked with Apple Support yesterday. They ha same unpair my watch from my iPhone and it hasn't had the problem since.

Now the question is, WTF do we do??

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Mine was doing something similar but it would lock up the devices. iPad Air 2, iPhone 6+ and Watch. It has since bricked my backup iPad 3. No big loss there. I finally just deleted all the reminders that were set to go off daily. That "fixed" the problem! Ugh

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
Mine was doing something similar but it would lock up the devices. iPad Air 2, iPhone 6+ and Watch. It has since bricked my backup iPad 3. No big loss there. I finally just deleted all the reminders that were set to go off daily. That "fixed" the problem! Ugh

Wow, do you think my repeating reminders are the issue? You described exactly what is happening to me!

That's crazy!

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
This is now happening to me as well. Completed (even deleted) reminders keep coming back, even if they show as completed/deleted across other devices first. It doesn't matter if I do it on iPhone or iPad or Watch, it'll sync correctly at first and then later it'll be back again. Infuriating.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014

Well, as it turns out my daily repeating reminder must have been corrupt or something because it was causing my iPhone, iPad, and watch to freeze and respring every night. Deleted the suspect reminder and problem went away.

It is ridiculous that one corrupt reminder can cause complete system crashes. Terrible.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Still happening for me (I don't have any repeating reminders). I delete the reminder, it comes back. I mark it as completed, it restores itself to uncompleted again...

I've tried basically everything at this point, including turning off iCloud sync for Reminders on all devices and choosing the option to delete local reminders (and I've deleted all reminders via iCloud.com), then turning it back on again. It works for a while, then reminders start having the issue again: mark one as complete and it syncs the state across devices, then mysteriously comes back again at a later time. Delete it, it disappears... then comes back randomly.

Basic sync stuff and they still can't get it right. Ridiculous.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
Still happening for me (I don't have any repeating reminders). I delete the reminder, it comes back. I mark it as completed, it restores itself to uncompleted again...

I've tried basically everything at this point, including turning off iCloud sync for Reminders on all devices and choosing the option to delete local reminders (and I've deleted all reminders via iCloud.com), then turning it back on again. It works for a while, then reminders start having the issue again: mark one as complete and it syncs the state across devices, then mysteriously comes back again at a later time. Delete it, it disappears... then comes back randomly.

Basic sync stuff and they still can't get it right. Ridiculous.

Do you have reminder syncing set to "push" under mail, contacts, calendars, in the settings app? Make sure in that setting iCloud is set to "push." Try it and let me know.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Yep, iCloud is set to push. All settings are normal and this was all working fine previously, but at some point started being buggy (no idea if it coincided with a specific iOS release but a lot more people seem to be seeing the same problem recently).

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I know this isn't helpful – but I only use Reminders on one device (my phone), and do not sync w/other devices, specifically because syncing Reminders has never worked well for me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.