Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
This feature looked so great, I see the arrow in the upper right that GPS is polling however. Have not tested this out for a full day yet but wonder what its impact is going to be on battery.

If anyone could have done a feature right like this it is Apple.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Also, I toggled the location servies for reminders and that option to remind based on location is gone and will not come back even after restarts and changing the toggle again.

Bummer, guess I wont be able to test it lol.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2007
I did not test this on my own. But if I would have to implement it, I would use a very coarse resolution (4km for example) and poll that about every 10 minutes. You can easily do that with cellular triangulation (an information that the iPhone has anyway even without doing anything aside from being a phone).
If there is a geo-fence within that region, I would increase the polling rate and also increase the resolution. At some point you will have to switch on GPS to see if you're within that region for the reminder.
So from a power point of view the power consumption depends on the geo-fence size that you set and the distance to that fence. If you're closer, the power consumption will increase. If you're away from any interesting point the additional power consumption would go down to 0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.