Reminders vs. Calendar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 7.29.80, Oct 12, 2011.

1. 7.29.80 macrumors member

Can't calendar do the same thing that reminders does? What is the difference, the list view?

2. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Calendar could replace many apps. Could also be a note taking app. In short, it can do what reminders does but reminders is set up process and GUI wise as a one trick pony. It also can do the geofence thing which i really like that triggers the reminder when you enter or leave a specific location.

3. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

does anyone know if REMINDERS requires a constant GPS connection? that could be a deal-breaker for me (and battery breaker for everyone else).

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Location-based reminders do (i.e. "Remind me when I leave/arrive X location"). Time-based reminders don't.

5. 7.29.80 thread starter macrumors member

You confirmed my suspicion, I have to look more into the geofence thing though.

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I have asked myself the same question with no response. What's the difference? Right now if I want a reminder I just make a calendar entry with an alarm on it.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I really like that Reminders don't clutter up my calendar view in Google Apps. For time-based reminders you COULD do the same thing in Calendar by setting a 0-minute appointment with alert, but this is a lot more streamlined.

Sort of like, if you want a note - you could use the Notes app, or you could send an email to yourself. Does that make the Notes app redundant? No.

8. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

When would you use calendar and when would you use reminder?

9. 7.29.80 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah? I mean doesn't one kill the other? I think this is a case of maybe missing the forest for the trees for me.

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I would think a reminder is something you need to get reminded of and then when that time comes, it disappears automatically and doesn't clutter up your calendar. Guess we'll find out when IOS 5 gets released.

11. 7.29.80 thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh, so recurring stuff like birthdays and so forth go in Cal but one time deals go in Reminders?

I can see that use.

12. MasterTick macrumors 6502

I've found it useful, for instance, today I set a reminder for me to download the new Scribblenauts game when I get home, wouldn't really make much sense for something that trivial to go to my calendar.

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Well, if you want to be reminded that you need to go to a meeting or of some other scheduled item where you want your time blocked on your calendar - obviously the calendar is right for that.

I use reminder for things like "Get cat food" and "Call so-and-so" - things that I don't need a record of after the fact, and that don't need time blocked on the calendar.

But it's all up to you, of course. You can use calendar for all of them if you want.