Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJS051085

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
Hi All,

I was a VERY late newcomer to iPhone (that's right ... 6 months ago I had a Blackberry!). Now I love the iPhone EXCEPT the reminders app.

The reminders app that comes with the iPhone has gotten plenty of criticisms and rightfully so. What I liked about my Blackberry is that, if I set a reminder then I'd get an alert at the day/time of the reminder and when I unlocked the phone it took me right to that reminder. I could then adjust the day and time of the reminder if necessary.

I found this article - http://www.businessinsider.com/best-to-do-list-apps-for-iphone-2012-6?op=1 - that lists some alternatives. I decided the "Bugger" app was the closest to what I was looking for. However, bugger 1) does not pull up the "bug" when I unlock the phone, it takes me to the home screen and I need to navigate back to bugger to adjust the bug.; 2) if I am using the phone, the "bug" does not go off. I need something that is going to interrupt me to remind me what I need to do.; 3) I set about 30 reminders so far and at least 10 of them just have no gone off. 4) If two reminders ("Bugs") are set for the same day/time, only one goes off and the other gets lost.

Is there really nothing out there that can help me stay organized? I feel like I need to go back to my blackberry just to keep my schedule straight!

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I use iCal (Calendar) and Reminder. Apple has several applications to remind you. In the Calendar app you can set a reminder. If you use Siri you can remind yourself when you go/leave a certain location. Reminder App allows you to set the Time, Alarm, and a Location. On my iPhone I have Reminder lists for Work, Home, Shopping and etc. For example, when I go to my favorite store, the Reminder App will buzz me so that I can remember to look at my shopping list. lol Sometimes I forget to check it.

When you create a list in Reminder, make sure you click the info link to add the alarm. If this is a daily event then you might want to set an actual Alarm. Every task doesn't have to be inside Reminder App.

iCal aka Calendar I've been using way before iPhone. It works really well in my iEcosystem. lol Everything is color coded to event. On the pull down screen, my schedule is listed.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
I use iCal (Calendar) and Reminder. Apple has several applications to remind you. In the Calendar app you can set a reminder. If you use Siri you can remind yourself when you go/leave a certain location. Reminder App allows you to set the Time, Alarm, and a Location. On my iPhone I have Reminder lists for Work, Home, Shopping and etc. For example, when I go to my favorite store, the Reminder App will buzz me so that I can remember to look at my shopping list. lol Sometimes I forget to check it.

When you create a list in Reminder, make sure you click the info link to add the alarm. If this is a daily event then you might want to set an actual Alarm. Every task doesn't have to be inside Reminder App.

iCal aka Calendar I've been using way before iPhone. It works really well in my iEcosystem. lol Everything is color coded to event. On the pull down screen, my schedule is listed.

I'm looking for a way to integrate Reminders into the Calendar app instead of having 2 separate apps... any way to do this?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
If you have a Mac they are together in iCal. I use them both but they way they are to be used. If I need to make a list and check it off, I use Reminders. If I'm scheduling an event I use Calendar.

If your alarm didn't go off then you may not have set it in Reminder. You can set the location and email etc.

You probably need to keep playing with it. When I'm on my Macbook I'm working inside iCal. Setting my appointments and reminders. This way everything is laid out for me when I leave my home.

truskowr

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
California
If you click on the "i" to the right of the entry you are making then it gives you additional options. Such as reminding you at a specific time or when you arrive at a location. You can also click on an existing entry to get the "i" to appear.

DJS051085

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
Well, first - even when I set a reminder it is very easy to ignore it (and I want something intrusive). Also, I find that if I set two reminders at the same day and time, only one goes off.

More importantly, I am having a heck of a time syncing my iphone with ical. In iTunes, the sync button does not sync ical. I tried asking about this on another forum (http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?p=723250#post723250) and got no results. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
You have to make sure you are running atleast 10.7 on a Mac. idk what the specs are for PC users. If you are on a Mac, go to System Pref and make sure that iCal is selected to sync under iCloud. Then double check on your iPhone under Settings - iCloud make sure the button to sync is turned on.

If things aren't still working, you could make an appointment at the Apple store. It's hard to post on the internet how to set everything. If you go to the Apple store with your iPhone and Macbook Pro, they will get everything up and running for you. Show you how to manage both devices.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=tidetail&product=iphone&locale=en_US&tag=Reminders

DJS051085

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
You have to make sure you are running atleast 10.7 on a Mac. idk what the specs are for PC users. If you are on a Mac, go to System Pref and make sure that iCal is selected to sync under iCloud. Then double check on your iPhone under Settings - iCloud make sure the button to sync is turned on.

If things aren't still working, you could make an appointment at the Apple store. It's hard to post on the internet how to set everything. If you go to the Apple store with your iPhone and Macbook Pro, they will get everything up and running for you. Show you how to manage both devices.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=tidetail&product=iphone&locale=en_US&tag=Reminders

Thanks mo. I feel stupid admitting this but I didn't even think about going to the apple store. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.