Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Been watching old WWDC vids on YouTube .... watched from Phone OS 2 up to iOS 6.

Anyone else miss the days when iOS was really innovative? All the "ooooohs" and "aaaaaaaaaahs" from the audience, hanging on every word. Was fun back then, skeuomorphic or not.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Indeed. Ever since Tim Cook took over every new iOS version keeps slowing down the phone. I miss the good old days when Steve was at the helm and the era when profits were considered a byproduct of customer satisfaction.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Indeed. Ever since Tim Cook took over every new iOS version keeps slowing down the phone. I miss the good old days when Steve was at the helm and the era when profits were considered a byproduct of customer satisfaction.

Very true. Would Tim have dropped the price of OS X upgrades from $129 to $29 to $0?

And “find a way” to make iPod touch OS upgrades free, from $9.99?

Reactions: Radon87000

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Been watching old WWDC vids on YouTube .... watched from Phone OS 2 up to iOS 6.

Anyone else miss the days when iOS was really innovative? All the "ooooohs" and "aaaaaaaaaahs" from the audience, hanging on every word. Was fun back then, skeuomorphic or not.
I wouldn't lay this all on Apple (and you may not be): we've crested the feature curve on all mobile platforms. There is just so much you can do with today's hardware (meaning: a handheld PC as opposed to a holographic communicator or whatever is Mobile 2.0). With millions of apps, most significant innovation on this platform has probably already occurred. Plus, we are now used to these devices and the things that impressed us 10 years ago (pinch to zoom, for example) are just considered commonplace - because they are. Someone will probably come up with some whizbang app that does something novel, but that will be the exception rather than the rule. Siri Shortcuts has potential to reshape how we interact with devices, from an app-based interaction paradigm to an intent-based paradigm, but its too early to tell if that will happen and whether it will be revolutionary vs. evolutionary. One belwether will be if Google/Samsung attempt to emulate it.

Bottom line: mobile devices are now commodities rather than spectacular and new. Something big will have to break the innovation model, much in the same way the original iPhone broke the previous model of handheld device usage.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I wouldn't lay this all on Apple (and you may not be): we've crested the feature curve on all mobile platforms. There is just so much you can do with today's hardware (meaning: a handheld PC as opposed to a holographic communicator or whatever is Mobile 2.0). With millions of apps, most significant innovation on this platform has probably already occurred. Plus, we are now used to these devices and the things that impressed us 10 years ago (pinch to zoom, for example) are just considered commonplace - because they are. Someone will probably come up with some whizbang app that does something novel, but that will be the exception rather than the rule. Siri Shortcuts has potential to reshape how we interact with devices, from an app-based interaction paradigm to an intent-based paradigm, but its too early to tell if that will happen and whether it will be revolutionary vs. evolutionary. One belwether will be if Google/Samsung attempt to emulate it.

Bottom line: mobile devices are now commodities rather than spectacular and new. Something big will have to break the innovation model, much in the same way the original iPhone broke the previous model of handheld device usage.

You are definitely on to something with Siri shortcuts. We are slowly moving away from hammering our devices like monkeys and instead getting interactions pushed to us when we need it instead of going looking for it in an app or App Store. Especially the way Shortcuts are being suggested to you in the lock screen etc. Also Siri. We have passed the wow period of this generation of devices.

We where easily entertained back then.

Reactions: gwhizkids

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Gee the 1,000,000,000 thread about how Tim Cook has ruined Apple and..
Get over it - the industry is mature and becoming more all the time.

Well maybe there may only be 500,000 more threads like this in the next year.
I know - don't read them

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Gee the 1,000,000,000 thread about how Tim Cook has ruined Apple and..
Get over it - the industry is mature and becoming more all the time.

Well maybe there may only be 500,000 more threads like this in the next year.
I know - don't read them

Not intended to be a Timmy bashing thread....

Perhaps Scott Forstall was more imaginative than he was given credit for.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
What? I didn't know Tim cook writes code for ios.

Both Tim and Steve answer(Ed) to shareholders. It was always about profit. Remember the original Macbook Air? Remember the original iPhone? Steve wasnt subsidizing your phone, and he didn't become a billionaire because he didn't care about profit.

Reactions: -BigMac- and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Tim Cook picked up the pace of innovation on the iPhone. Touch ID, Face ID, 64 bit, oled, apple pay. Okay oled like wifi is not really innovation.

But no I can’t really say I miss the supposed “good old days”.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
What? I didn't know Tim cook writes code for ios.

Both Tim and Steve answer(Ed) to shareholders. It was always about profit. Remember the original Macbook Air? Remember the original iPhone? Steve wasnt subsidizing your phone, and he didn't become a billionaire because he didn't care about profit.
The software team clearly isn't doing as good a job as they used to under Steve. Also whatever issues happened during Steve’s reign were genuine issues. Most of the issues in the Cook reign are cost cutting issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: FeliApple

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
The software team clearly isn't doing as good a job as they used to under Steve. Also whatever issues happened during Steve’s reign were genuine issues. Most of the issues in the Cook reign are cost cutting issues.
Source on your "cost cutting"claim?

to simplify the issue as a software team doing a bad job and Steve leaving is rudimentary. Steve let mobile me happen and only addressed it after its been on the market for a while

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Source on your "cost cutting"claim?

to simplify the issue as a software team doing a bad job and Steve leaving is rudimentary. Steve let mobile me happen and only addressed it after its been on the market for a while

Please. You have no source for any of this.

Instead of issuing a recall for defective batteries they tried to save costs by issuing a half baked throttle solution for iPhone 7,6s.

With Touch Disease on iPhone 6, they saved costs by not using an underfill which is there on the 5s but not on the 6.

once they realised their mistake they quietly fixed these issues on the newer models.

Also iOS 1-6 were infinitely better than iOS 7-11. This is completely undeniable. The smoothness of the operating system and the way it worked was just plainly better. iOS 6 never ever stuttered. I can still make an iPhone X stutter in an area of the OS if I want it to. The attention to detail is lacking.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Instead of issuing a recall for defective batteries they tried to save costs by issuing a half baked throttle solution for iPhone 7,6s.

With Touch Disease on iPhone 6, they saved costs by not using an underfill which is there on the 5s but not on the 6.

once they realised their mistake they quietly fixed these issues on the newer models.

Also iOS 1-6 were infinitely better than iOS 7-11. This is completely undeniable. The smoothness of the operating system and the way it worked was just plainly better. iOS 6 never ever stuttered. I can still make an iPhone X stutter in an area of the OS if I want it to. The attention to detail is lacking.

So your "source" is Apple did something and you're guessing, with no hard evidence or insider knowledge, as to the "why". Do you have any other sources beyond your imagination? Any hard evidence? Something you could give a link to? Multiple sources preferably.

And since this is in reference to how crappy Tim is and what a God Steve was...

With Antennagate, instead of issuing a recall for defective devices, they tried to save costs by giving away free bumper cases.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
So your "source" is Apple did something and you're guessing, with no hard evidence or insider knowledge, as to the "why". Do you have any other sources beyond your imagination? Any hard evidence? Something you could give a link to? Multiple sources preferably.

And since this is in reference to how crappy Tim is and what a God Steve was...

With Antennagate, instead of issuing a recall for defective devices, they tried to save costs by giving away free bumper cases.
Didnt know Tim Cook has a Macrumors account..:eek:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

Yeah. I really want iOS 4 back. So smooth...and does nothing. Model Ts have a lot fewer parts that break down.

Stop romanticizing.

Reactions: Feenician and Armen

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i miss snow leopard, so i will get an external ssd reader and plop snow leopard on the drive, an run a nice scanner, printer and rip some dvds with subtitles like i used 8 years ago.

tim jobs is just other CEo-gigalo

sbcdk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
I never quite understand it, when someone says there are no new areas to be explored, developed. Are you kidding? Your lack of imagination does not mean the world has reached the top of technological advancement.

The following quote has been lifted from a 1889 Punch Magazine comic strip:

A genius asked "isn't there a clerk who can examine patents?" A boy replied "Quite unnecessary, Sir. Everything that can be invented has been invented."

It was a joke back then, but today some people really believe it? Wow.

Reactions: AlumaMac

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I never quite understand it, when someone says there are no new areas to be explored, developed. Are you kidding? Your lack of imagination does not mean the world has reached the top of technological advancement.

The following quote has been lifted from a 1889 Punch Magazine comic strip:

A genius asked "isn't there a clerk who can examine patents?" A boy replied "Quite unnecessary, Sir. Everything that can be invented has been invented."

It was a joke back then, but today some people really believe it? Wow.

Not sure if you are replying to my point above, but if so, you’re missing my point. My contention is that we may be reaching the far end of the development bell curve with our current hardware set up. That was true with horse drawn carriages in 1889 and now we have cars. It was also true of the keyboard based “smart” phone in 2007 and now we have full screen, multi-touch truly smart phones. Development is not always linear, but frequently has disruptive game changing jogs in the path.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
It seems to me Apple hit their OS X peak in 2012, everything added to an OS X after that benefits use a device like phone or iPad. Getting a better screen view falls under the "patch" category rather than revolutionizing the OS X as his high sierra.

And they have gotten "petty" every OS X release, there are things i can't do in 2018 in pages i used to in elcapitan back in 2016 and non-apple devices working fluidly with macs. To prove this, Apple discontinued their online chat support recently.

no, nothing is spiked in my coffee, just cream and brown sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AlumaMac

sbcdk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Not sure if you are replying to my point above, but if so, you’re missing my point. My contention is that we may be reaching the far end of the development bell curve with our current hardware set up. That was true with horse drawn carriages in 1889 and now we have cars. It was also true of the keyboard based “smart” phone in 2007 and now we have full screen, multi-touch truly smart phones. Development is not always linear, but frequently has disruptive game changing jogs in the path.

Nah, wasn’t pointing fingers at anyone particular. Just saying, that in ten years we will have much better devices and those who today say, that this is the best our mobile pc’s can get, will then say exactly the same: that there are no more advances to be made.

Just because you and I can’t see the next logical step doesn’t mean, that no one can. But we need visionaries showing the way, not financial experts.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
I'm not one who's entire life revolves around their phone, but these threads make me wonder "what do you envision doing with your phone that can not be done?" Yes I understand that we are all waiting for the next coolest thing, but I am with the ones that think that the phone is already stretched about as far as technology can go. Any technology sees diminished returns over time.

I think that Apple. Google and the rest were betting the next wave on VR and wearables, but most of the user base is very happy with the state of the smartphone and really don't care about the same things that the Uber-geeks care about.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My 6s battery was replaced and batteries cost $29 to replace in addition to power management, which android doesn’t have.

What’s touch disease? But I never heard Apple say they saved costs on anything. Whatever you’re referring to could be the engineering they designed for the phone. Apple doesn’t cut corners, imo, to cut its nose off to spite its face.

There is such a thing called engineering improvements. Think how far cars have come since the pinto.

Also iOS 1-6 were infinitely better than iOS 7-11. This is completely undeniable.
It’s completely subjective as to this opinion.

The smoothness of the operating system and the way it worked was just plainly better. iOS 6 never ever stuttered. I can still make an iPhone X stutter in an area of the OS if I want it to. The attention to detail is lacking.
Never is an absolute. I’m sure you can make your iPhone X stutter, but that it stutters in one area for an o/S that makes iOS 6 look like windows 3.1 that you say attention to detail is lacking, I say it works wonderfully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.