Remodeled a soundbooth today!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by troop231, Aug 3, 2010.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

Did some prep work a day in advance installing receptacles and conduit, then today ripped out the old desk and put in a brand new countertop. Looks 100x better IMO. Still got some misc. painting to do and put new carpet in, small stuff. Anyone elses thoughts? :)

Before pic: [​IMG]

After pic: [​IMG]

2. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Sennheiser cans. Nice choice. :)

All in all, a nice job indeed-- very clean. Removing the upper wall divider does make a difference, doesn't it?

And pardon me for asking, but is this in a church? I notice the ends of what appear to be pews in the "after" pic that were hidden by the wall divider before.

4. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Thank you, and yes, yes it is.

5. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

No-one else operates professional audio equipment here? :confused:

6. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I don't use any professional equipment but have an appreciation for the artistry involved in a good professional setup. All I have is my Mac with Audacity and a few wires for my occasional Bass Guitar recording sessions running through my multi effects pedal using the setup as a simple recording studio. Between my graphic art business and my music hobby alone I put this thing through its paces enough.

Sad thing though about any sort of meeting place is the necessity for PA systems due to commonly poor architectural design the old churches of Europe never had this many problems thanks to the proper usage of those old fashioned style architectural elements such as arches and domes that would tend to help sound carry further on their own. But I bet modern architecture is good for your business :D

7. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

One or two small questions about your setup:

I notice the component stack in the center of the table (CD players, perhaps a DAT in there?) is rather high compared to the rest of the layout. Does each piece see everyday use? If not, have you thought about moving one or two that are rarely used to the lower shelf, for an even cleaner look?

I can imagine that it might be a bit tough to see over the stack if you're sitting at the PC during a live situation. Of course, if you're usually "riding the faders" most of the time, it's not much of a problem, as visibility is evidently better from behind the mixer.

8. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeah, there's not much I can do about the stack since we use every piece of it. MiniDisc, CD house, CD broadcast, and CD recorder.