Remorse, regret, and Redemption?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NuclearBiscuit, Jun 11, 2009.

  1. NuclearBiscuit macrumors newbie

    Jan 24, 2009
    This is a plea:

    Two months ago I purchased an awesome set-up:

    MBP 2.4 w/ 4gb RAM and 250 gb HD @ 7200 along with Adobe CS4 and the 24" LED.

    I had a six year old iBook that died on me, and it's amazing to now have this computer. But, like several others on here, I'm regretful that I didn't wait and get all the new stuff. Should I let this agitation turn into action and sell my current beauty for the younger girl?
  2. bphillips macrumors regular

    May 31, 2009
  3. benrockwood macrumors member


    May 28, 2009
    i could agree more

    same here.. i bought the macbook pro 2.4ghz 3 weeks back which supports only 4gb ram.. i am regreting now.. i should have waited few more weeks and i could have got better deal for the money spent

  4. bphillips macrumors regular

    May 31, 2009
    EXACTLY what I did.

    But mine is 2.66ghz and a 17'' uMBP

    Bought it just 2 weeks ago.
  5. JasonR macrumors 6502a


    Nov 11, 2008
    But it supports 8 GB of ram.

    Do the new Macbook Pro 13" support 8 GB? I'm typing on one.
  6. bphillips macrumors regular

    May 31, 2009
    I'm not sure. You mean the ones that came out around 3 days ago? Then yes, I think they do.
  7. jboyzh macrumors member

    Oct 27, 2003
  8. lunari macrumors member


    May 19, 2009
    Glendive, Montana
    Here's the way I look at it, and my situation.

    I bought a 2.4 15" MBP from the refurb store for $1,699 ~3 weeks ago. This is my first mac (not counting a G4 graphite I had for a month or so). Been wanting one for years and years, finally picked one up.

    Sure, now a few weeks later I could get more power for the same price. The extra battery life would be nice, sure. Doesn't make me any less happy with the one I do have. I still have my expresscard slot ;)
  9. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Aug 9, 2006

    The return period for Apple is 14 days. Call them anyways if you're just out of that range, they might be able to help you.
  10. weev macrumors regular


    Jan 21, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Your machine is great, you say so yourself. We must lose the attachment to the new, what you have is good enough for a few years.

    Those rushing out buying the new machines will feel the pain of superseeding in a few months.

    My 2.66 15" with 7200 speed drive is awesome, it hasn't got slower since Apple released new machines.

    My only beef is the price drop!

    My powerbook hasn't got slower, its just dropped in resale value!
  11. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

    Jan 9, 2009
    Do it! :D
  12. RogueVasion macrumors regular


    Nov 23, 2008
    I wouldn't sell it, you still have a great Mac.

    What did they add to the MBP that is really worth the time and effort of selling basically the same thing.
  13. Anuba macrumors 68040


    Feb 9, 2005
    Buying computers weeks before they're refreshed sucks, but that's why we have the Buyer's Guide. If you're anal about having the latest thing, never buy anything that's mid product cycle or older, only buy when it's brand new.

    I say stick with what you have. The difference would be marginal at best (the rest is placebo effect).

    In 6 months time (and at 40 I know that 6 months pass by in no time) there'll be yet another refresh and you'll feel just as miffed. Personally I waited until the right time (i.e. this week) to buy a MacBook Pro, and I'll be able to enjoy a few months of the rather pointless feeling of having the latest and greatest thing, but I will soon be run over by a freight train when MBP's get quad processors, USB 3.0 and possibly Firewire 3200. Then I'll no longer be cool, I'll be one of those idiots who bought the last Penryn MacBook Pro dinosaurs crammed with outdated technology like USB 2.0 and dual core Penryn.

    You just can't win this race because there's no finish line.
  14. Skika macrumors 68030

    Mar 11, 2009
    Is there a chance they will make support for "old" UMBP for 8gb ram?
    Like thru an update or something?

    To the OP: There is no reason to be sad, those who bought the macbooks have more reasons. Hey, at least you have the express card:D
  15. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2009
    Do whatever makes you feel comfortable if you feel you need the new one you could try to sell it to get the newer one
  16. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

    Mar 19, 2009
    Yes :D yes yes. Sell it - you won't loose much and in turn you'll be happy for longer.
  17. pdxflint macrumors 68020


    Aug 25, 2006
    Oregon coast
    So you went 6 years with the old iBook... until she died on you. Now you've been with an amazing, powerful, gorgeous new MBP for 2 months... and you're unsatisfied? Just asking...sorry. Seems you suddenly are more worried about things that didn't matter to you before - like somebody might have a slightly faster computer, or an SD slot, or something like that... and somehow missing the point of how freaking great your new machine is compared to what you lived with for 6 whole years... I say just enjoy your MBP, especially if it's all working the way it should, nice display, no flaws or bugs... because if you get all caught up in the latest 'versions' having something mysterious and new... you'll never be satisfied... ever.
  18. jake.f macrumors 6502

    Sep 4, 2008
    NSW, Australia
  19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Aug 8, 2008
    I think a better strategy is to now wait until the *next* major update if it really bothers you. The resale value probably won't be that much less. The current MBP's are fantastic but not such a huge change from the very last revision IMO. 4GB of RAM should do you fine for 6-9 months right?
  20. t-rev macrumors member

    Feb 6, 2009
    Same thing...purchased the 15 2.66 on 5/22 for $2299. I posted it on Craigslist on Monday for $2000 and threw in an additional copy of Adobe Creative Master Suite 4 that I had and sold it yesterday. Was going to upgrade to the new 17 but they were out of stock so ended up with the 15 2.8 500gb, with my discount it came to $2263....I'm out a little on the deal but was going to put the 500gb in my last machine anyway and the batter life on the one is worth it.

    This thing is quick! Loads Photoshop CS4 in 3 sec!
  21. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

    Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Am I stuck at 4?

    I purchased the "old" Unibody Macbook a few months ago and I was wondering if you guys think that I will eventually be able to upgrade to 8gb like the new ones? Do you think Snow Leopard might help me out with this? It's running wonderfully right now at 4gb, but as memory prices come down and apps get more RAM hungry I would like the option to add more ram. What do you guys think?
  22. Anuba macrumors 68040


    Feb 9, 2005
    Can you see what brand/model the stock 500 GB is? Nobody seems to know what they put in the new ones. I have a 17" 2.8 arriving on Tuesday...
  23. t-rev macrumors member

    Feb 6, 2009
    Here it is...

    Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02 Media
  24. Anuba macrumors 68040


    Feb 9, 2005
    OK. Hitachi TravelStar HTS545050. Thanks!

Share This Page