Remote Acces to home machine from work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacViolinist, Oct 21, 2007.

1. MacViolinist macrumors regular

So, I would like to be able to access my home computer (Mac OS X v. 10.4.10) from work. How do I set this up? My work machine is a PC. I am on RoadRunner high-speed with a dynamic IP at home behind a lynksis wifi router.

Thanks in advance.

-MacV

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Install LogMeIn on the computer you want to control, and its easy :)

3. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Best thing would be to setup a Webserver.

Go to sys prefs > sharing and check personal web sharing

Go to 192.168.1.1 and forward port 80 on your Mac's IP (You can find your Mac's IP by going to Apps>Utilities>Network Utility. You may want to may your computer's IP static by going to sys prefs> network > configure . Use DHCP with manual address. This will make sure you don't have problems with your port forward.)

Go to Terminal and do the following

Now go to your "sites" folder and put what ever you want in there..

Now find your public IP and you are all set. (Find public IP here: http://ventrilo.com/myip.php )

You can now access your site from anywhere in the world, so long as your computer is on and you have the correct public ip.

Hope this helps!

4. MacViolinist thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, wakerider. I do appreciate it, but I want to be able to run apps from my home computer while at work, and, if I am not mistaken, I couldn't do that simply from a webserver. But your information is helpful, and I'm sure I'll find a way to make use of it.

I am installing LogMeIn right now. Hopefully that will work. Quick question though, will LogMeIn allow multiple people to log in simultaneously? If, for example, I set something up, and I want to show it to a co-worker, can I just let him log in while I am looking at it too, or would I have to log out?

5. MacViolinist thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I should've looked more closely at LogMeIn. It is PC only. In my first post, I probably should've done a better job of making it clear that my home machine is a Mac. I want to be able to access my Mac's files and apps remotely.

Is there a way to do this?

6. VoidBoi macrumors regular

Did they make it PC only this morning? It was working fine between my 2 Macs yesterday.

7. maxjg macrumors member

I highly recommend LogMeIn. It's still laggy, but it's about as good as it gets for remote control. Plus, very easy to set up.
    LogMeIn Mac

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Go to the LogMeIn website with a Mac and it works, it is NOT Windows only :)

9. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Hmm, this is got me thinking. So I have a computer at home with my iTunes library, I saw that LogMeIn has sound support.

Does that mean that I could use remote access to listen to my music from work? I work with a corporation, so I'm sure they will have firewalls in place, might not work either way.