Remote Acces to home machine from work

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
So, I would like to be able to access my home computer (Mac OS X v. 10.4.10) from work. How do I set this up? My work machine is a PC. I am on RoadRunner high-speed with a dynamic IP at home behind a lynksis wifi router.

Thanks in advance.

-MacV

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
So, I would like to be able to access my home computer (Mac OS X v. 10.4.10) from work. How do I set this up? My work machine is a PC. I am on RoadRunner high-speed with a dynamic IP at home behind a lynksis wifi router.

Thanks in advance.

-MacV
Best thing would be to setup a Webserver.

Go to sys prefs > sharing and check personal web sharing

Go to 192.168.1.1 and forward port 80 on your Mac's IP (You can find your Mac's IP by going to Apps>Utilities>Network Utility. You may want to may your computer's IP static by going to sys prefs> network > configure . Use DHCP with manual address. This will make sure you don't have problems with your port forward.)

Go to Terminal and do the following

Use the command cd /etc/httpd to navigate to that directory. Now use the command sudo nano httpd.conf to open the configuration file for editing in root mode. It will ask you for your password.

Once you have the file open, you're going to want to panic. Don't. Press Control-w, and then type UseCanonicalName and press Enter. The cursor should jump to the spot in the file where that directive is. Use the arrow keys and the delete key to get rid of "On" and replace it with "Off". Now press Control-o followed by Enter to write (save) the file, then Control-x to exit the nano editor.

Now, still in the terminal, run sudo apachectl restart. That should restart the Apache web server.
Now go to your "sites" folder and put what ever you want in there..

Now find your public IP and you are all set. (Find public IP here: http://ventrilo.com/myip.php )

You can now access your site from anywhere in the world, so long as your computer is on and you have the correct public ip.

Hope this helps!

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
Thanks for the info, wakerider. I do appreciate it, but I want to be able to run apps from my home computer while at work, and, if I am not mistaken, I couldn't do that simply from a webserver. But your information is helpful, and I'm sure I'll find a way to make use of it.

I am installing LogMeIn right now. Hopefully that will work. Quick question though, will LogMeIn allow multiple people to log in simultaneously? If, for example, I set something up, and I want to show it to a co-worker, can I just let him log in while I am looking at it too, or would I have to log out?

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
I guess I should've looked more closely at LogMeIn. It is PC only. In my first post, I probably should've done a better job of making it clear that my home machine is a Mac. I want to be able to access my Mac's files and apps remotely.

Is there a way to do this?

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Hmm, this is got me thinking. So I have a computer at home with my iTunes library, I saw that LogMeIn has sound support.

Does that mean that I could use remote access to listen to my music from work? I work with a corporation, so I'm sure they will have firewalls in place, might not work either way.