remote accesing my mac at home? from college?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zipper1022, Sep 19, 2007.

1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

hey im up in boston at college and i was wondering if i could remotely acces my computer at my house, (imac g5) from my computer here, (macbook pro), since i have the admin password and stuff. maybe theres a program i can install on my imac to allow me to acces it from here in the future??

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You have two easy options...

Easiest and completely free is using VNC.
    You can download a program called Chicken of the VNC which is a good VNC viewer for OS X.
    You will need to go into system preferences to the sharing setup and enable Apple Remote Desktop, and then click the Access Privlidges button. In there you will see a button to enable VNC Connections.

The second option you have is to get a copy of Apple Remote Desktop 3 (ARD3), which is apple's version of VNC. It has a lot of enhancements over regular VNC. I am actually using it as I am typing this to you to admin my mom's new iMac and help her to get set up. it has a lot of neat features like ability to drag and drop files and folders between systems and they will transfer at your internet speed... you can wake and sleep macs, etc...

Anyways good luck. Send me a private message if you have any questions.