Remote Access From Another Country

Discussion in 'iMac' started by citywalk, Nov 23, 2008.

1. citywalk macrumors member

Is there software available so i can remote access my files on my iMac from a macbook?

For instance could i connect to my Imac from a macbook in the USA. I'm moving out there for a year, but wanna access the music on my Imac. I plan on buying a macbook out there so cant just transfer the songs.

The macbook will have leopard and the imac has tiger

Hope that made sense lol

2. rfruth macrumors regular

rfruth

\

Do the cloud computing thing or burn your data to cd/dvd or use a thumb drive ...

3. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Whatever system you have setup to access remotely, I wouldn't count on this long-term. If the power ever goes out you're sunk.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Consider getting an external drive, cloning your iMac's HD onto it, and just taking that with you, then.

As for the remote desktop-ing -- remote desktop is remote desktop. If your computer can be accessed from a public IP address in your own country, there's nothing additionally stopping you from accessing it via a public IP address anywhere else in the world. So whatever you do to enable remote desktoping from the internet will work without further modification when you go abroad.

You can set your Mac to auto-reboot on power outage, I guess, but it seems like a dicey proposition to me.

The bandwidth and latency will be fairly killer, however.

The external drive solution should not cost you all that much, though. It seems like a much better solution without a lot of capital investment, to me.

5. citywalk thread starter macrumors member

Should have mentioned my other half will still be here :)

So the imac wont be unattended

6. belvdr macrumors 601

I'd go the thumb drive route, for its size and cheapness. MicroCenter sells some pretty cheap drives. I believe the 16GB drives were in the $30 range.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

8. belvdr macrumors 601

Except it appears his buying a new MB, which means no FireWire, unless he gets the white one.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Ops.

Well, then he can get the USB version.

Larger capacity and cheaper. :)

10. belvdr macrumors 601

Even better... :D

11. citywalk thread starter macrumors member

wont be buying the new non firewire macbook thats for sure.

I dont wanna go down the thumb drive etc route. There will be files uploaded to my imac at home while im away that i will want access to. Movies, photos etc. The only other option is for my fiancee to email the files to me. But that could be a hassle with time zone changes etc.

12. bobdard macrumors regular

if you don't mind upgrading your imac to leopard, you could use MobileMe's BacktoMyMac feature; it works pretty well once u get it working (and unlike most apple things it takes some time to make it work properly)